crackmonkey
Fish Crazy
If I setup my 40 gal as a brackish figure eight tank which protein skimmer would fit in a Juwel tank since all the ones i've seen are hang on ones, cant you get external skimmers? Also whats the best most accurate Hydrometer
crackmonkey said:If I setup my 40 gal as a brackish figure eight tank which protein skimmer would fit in a Juwel tank since all the ones i've seen are hang on ones, cant you get external skimmers? Also whats the best most accurate Hydrometer
[snapback]916474[/snapback]
nmonks said:As for hydrometers, pick whatever one you can get for a good price. With a brackish tank, maintaining an exact salinity is irrelevant; whether or not you keep a figure-8 at 1.002, 1.004, or 1.06 doesn't really matter since these fish adapt to whatever is available (within reason). So even if your el cheapo hydrometer is off by 10 or 20% it isn't going to do any harm at all. But you do need to get one that goes to 1.000; some of the marine tank specific ones are calibrated for use at 1.016 and upwards.
This is exactly the opposite for marines, where fish and especially inverts expect a uniform salinity.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get a hydrometer (they're cheap and useful) but that you needn't get paranoid about spending a lot of money on one. A simple floating hydrometer is plenty good enough for brackish water purposes.
[snapback]919157[/snapback]
2 of his corals split twice and 1 anemone splits 4 times already; he has pictures to prove it too
I guess he must be on the extreme end of estimating while I'm on the other end of as accruate as possible measuring.Little Fish said:I must be a control freak![]()
I don't have much luck with estimation and fishes. Once, I did an estimate of medication and half of the tank die.nmonks said:Using a refractometer to measure salinity in a brackish water tank is certainly fun, but it isn't necessary. You can usually tell from the fish if the salinity is too high or low... for example things like morays go off their food and brackish water damselfish become nervous and skittish if kept at the wrong salinity.
After that incident, I try to be as precise as possible and not experimenting on the fishes. May be with people like you, i.e., people with more experience; you can notice subtle changes and correct the problems before it's too late. For newbies like me, I have to rely on the equipment I use. I'm not keeping any marine tanks and I have 3 hydrometers.nmonks said:On the other hand, with marine inverts, I'd definitely recommend investing in a good quality hydrometer. What I've noticed is that a lot of marine aquarists use two or three of them, since the variation among them is significant. I suppose a refractometer is much better in this regard.