Proper Behavior For Peppered Or Spotted Corydora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The only cory I would have in 10 gallons or less would be hastatus, habrosus, pygmaeus or gracilis, all other varieties imo are too large when fully grown
Remember the corys you see in the Lfs are nowhere near adult size & if the Op's peppers are paleatus they can get to over 7 cms so need space

I went back yesterday evening just to check on which cory it actually was that I purchased. The manager stated they only order the habrosus and pygmaeus varieties from their supplier. Im assuming since my corys have a spotted almost peppery appearance that they are the habrosus variety.

That's good to hear as they will be ok in the smaller tank although you could do with a couple more.
Can you get a pic of them?

1240116_10201860459861807_936341621_n.jpg

This is Sherlock and Watson, The gravel itself is mostly smooth river pebbles and the white is media from the larger tank that I had set aside for bacteria jump starter

Yep! Habrosys alright! Just buy 3 more to keep them calm. Remember to keep the gravel clean! Cheers! :)

So as an update. My Cory's were doing great up until my apartment complex had someone come in next door and do something which flooded my unit with a strong chemical smell yesterday. I came home from work to find one of my Cory's floating at the top of the tank gasping for air and the other at the bottom with rapid gill movement. I quickly did a 33% water change and treated for chlorine and heavy metals with Stress Coat+. I went ahead and removed the betta for the time being (Narcissus is currently pouting in his little store container) and am monitoring the Cory's. I don't know what else to do and the tank water still sorta smells like whatever chemical the sprayed in the unit next to us. A little advice would be great.

I would do a much larger water change, like drain as much as you can leaving just enough room for them to be able to swim upright.
Sorry to hear about this :( I hope they all make it

After the 33% change they all seemed to relax a little. I waited a few hours and checked the water parameters again and everything was within normal readings and the water no longer smelled like chemical (think rubber cement mixed with nail polish X 10). I re-introduce the betta (who I must add, was very happy to get back to his plastic plant and Buddha). I guess now only time will tell. I'm going to go ahead and take a water sample into Petco tomorrow for exact numbers. I'm really tempted to ask for compensation from the apartment complex since they're the one who flooded my unit with toxins.

That doesn't sound like a fun smell at all! Glad everything seems better. I've never had an apartment before so not sure what'll happen with that, the least they could've done was warn you though. :(

I've grown really attached to my fish and really don't want to lose them. This sucks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back