Problems?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I lā€™m thinking of adding a couple of neon blue dwarf gouramiā€™s to my 55G tank that houses cories and neon tetras. Trying for a pair. Parameters are compatible. Any issues I should know about before proceeding?

Last edited:
Is this male or female.

Attachments

• 57EF0D3F-07E8-4910-B583-726D7A8798A4.jpeg
    57EF0D3F-07E8-4910-B583-726D7A8798A4.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 78
Think itā€™s female because of the rounded fin. And also I see no problem with that combo, neon tetras are chill and corys should mind their own business

One on top in this pic. M or F?

Attachments

• BDBB0169-DB44-4CA0-9DD9-DDFCAE92118A.jpeg
    BDBB0169-DB44-4CA0-9DD9-DDFCAE92118A.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 77
Don't buy dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) or any of their colour forms because they are regularly infected with Fish TB and or the Gourami Iridovirus. Neither of which can be treated or cured.

The dwarf gouramis in the pictures are males. The females are silver or paler blue without red lines.

The other blue gourami in the picture is a normal blue or 3 spot gourami, different species that is more aggressive but generally free of TB and the Iridovirus. However, I wouldn't buy any labyrinth fish from a tank that has had any dwarf gouramis in.

Don't buy dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) or any of their colour forms because they are regularly infected with Fish TB and or the Gourami Iridovirus. Neither of which can be treated or cured.

The dwarf gouramis in the pictures are males. The females are silver or paler blue without red lines.

The other blue gourami in the picture is a normal blue or 3 spot gourami, different species that is more aggressive but generally free of TB and the Iridovirus. However, I wouldn't buy any labyrinth fish from a tank that has had any dwarf gouramis in.
Wow! Good to know. Thanks, @Colin_T. Think Iā€™ll wait then and read up on gouramiā€™s a bit more. :)

everywhere i read it said the fins are the main difference:/
glad i know this now
Also my bad Deanasue...

Can they spread that virus to other fish? If not, I might risk getting them, knowing that they might not live that long and being aware of the symptoms, so you know that you may have to euthanise them when symptoms show. Know what I mean? Like if you know the risks and want to take the chance, you can. But if they could spread the virus to other fish in your tank, I wouldn't risk it.

Can they spread that virus to other fish? If not, I might risk getting them, knowing that they might not live that long and being aware of the symptoms, so you know that you may have to euthanise them when symptoms show. Know what I mean? Like if you know the risks and want to take the chance, you can. But if they could spread the virus to other fish in your tank, I wouldn't risk it.
Spreading it was my concern. Thatā€™s my adult Cory tank that produces all the eggs. Donā€™t want to mess that up!

With most gouramis the males have longer more pointed dorsal and anal fins. But with dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius), the males are brightly coloured and the females are silver/ grey. The exception to this is coral blue dwarf gouramis where the male and female are both blue, but the female is a paler blue than the male. Females are usually really fat around the belly due to eggs.

Most shops don't carry female dwarf gouramis because they aren't as colourful. However, they should be able to order females in if you ask the shop nicely. But I wouldn't touch Colisa lalius in any form until the Asian breeders clean their ponds up and get some new stock.

There are other small species of Labyrinth fish that are not as brightly coloured but don't have the same health issues. Honey gouramis (go for wild colour form not the man made crap). Indian banded gourami, licorice gourami, chocolate gourami, sparkling gourami.

There are numerous small species of Betta that can be kept together. Things like Betta imbellis, B. coccina, B. brownorum, B. macrostoma are nice little fish that get along with each other and won't kill the neons or Cories.

Some Bettas are mouth brooders, these are usually the bigger species. The smaller species tend to be bubblenest builders.

The gouramiā€™s just caught my eye. Glad I controlled myself this time. :)

Can they spread that virus to other fish?
So far the information suggests the Gourami Iridovirus only affects Labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis). However, all viruses can mutate and it's possible it will jump species, assuming it hasn't already, and spread to new hosts.

Fish TB does spread to any fish in the aquarium. You really don't want this disease in any tank because it's a death sentence to any fish in that tank. If you get Fish TB in an aquarium, you kill the fish and scrap the tank. You need to sterilise everything used in it and if you share cleaning items, then the bacteria will probably be in all your tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back