[Solved] Problems with TetraMin Tropical Flakes.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppSword

Reaction score
For several days I have been feeding my guppies with these flakes and I observe that the portions that are pink in color are not consumed, they reject them, -- which has been creating a fouling problem in the bottom of the aquarium. Why don't they eat these parts?.

Stop feeding it if they don't like them 🤷‍♀️

As I said, they only reject the pink portions, the rest they devour immediately ... Why?

TetraMint?

Or TetraMin?

At any rate, I've had certain flake foods that my fish were sometimes picky with, as well...but my shrimp and snails took care of the flakes that went uneaten

Just like us, sometimes they don't like a certain food and will spit it out or reject it.
They may not like the pink flake flavor I suppose

Yes, mine seem to reject a certain color of Tetramin too. I think the white ones. Some folks here said to try those BugBite flakes and all I can say is the fish go nuts over those. I'm only switching back and forth because of the probably silly notion that the fish would like a variety. I use the BugBite pellets too but may set up a feeding ring to keep them in one spot. They all begin to fall at the same time and if caught in thee wrong current begin sinking out of sight of the critters.

I use bug bites. My fish love them. I even crush them up really small for my fry

Well, I understand they also have preferences, maybe that's why they don't accept that pink portion. What could it be...?

Any way. Can anyone recommend for me which sand bottom snail I can buy/Amazon? -- I don't know what to choose from what I see there, rather they seem to me to be algae eaters, not the kind that eat debris ('detritivores' ?, no sure about the English word) on an aquarium sand bottom.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I understand they also have preferences, maybe that's why they don't accept that pink portion. What could it be...?

Any way. Can anyone recommend for me which sand bottom snail I can buy/Amazon? -- I don't know what to choose from what I see there, rather they seem to me to be algae eaters, not the kind that eat debris on an aquarium sand bottom.

Thanks!
What do you mean by "debri". No snail will eat poo or detritus really...

I would guess that the color of the flakes indicate what they consist of. Green is probably plant, brown-protein, light-grains....Have to look at my TetraMin next time.

@ Rocky998

I can only get this bad reference of scientific names that are of no use to me when searching Amazon.

Detritivorous snails:

Strombus strombus, Srombus luhuanus, Strombus bulla and Strombus alatus.

The source is from an article in Spanish, you can translate the page (URL) with google:

*Pictures are also included.

Amano shrimp are good little scavengers and will eat dead plant matter and left over guppy food

@ Rocky998

I can only get this bad reference of scientific names that are of no use to me when searching Amazon.

Detritivorous snails:

The source is from an article in Spanish, you can translate the page (URL) with google:

Ohhhh those are all saltwater.

@ Rocky998

Detritivorous snails:

The clue is in the title matey, marine is saltwater

Be careful with what creatures you add to the tank. You HAVE to make sure they can live in your water parameters. Otherwise: :rip:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back