Problems with Platy Aggression!

Neleono

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!
I've been having this problem for a good while now and I decided to finally give up on trying it myself and reach out for help. I've had this 30 gal tank for about a year and a half, and only recently have I began needing to deal with aggression. For reference, I have 3 platies and 6 neon tetra (The tetra haven't ever had problems). It all started about a few months ago. I had some problems with my fish chasing each other and I made a post about wanting to solve it. I was told to change the tank up a bit to try to remove any territories and I did that. It worked great for about a month, all of the fish were being nice to each other. I began seeing that two of the fish were teaming up on the third and chasing him around. I moved some stuff around and added a new background to the tank and all of it seemed to help until a few weeks ago. Once again two fish were ganging up on another, chasing him around, running into him etc. I tried to order some new plants, which I planted, and that created even more hiding spots but it didn't seem to help. One thing to mention, every time the fish began being aggressive again, it was always to a different fish so its not like one fish in specific has been the one to be bullied this whole time. Anyways, as of today, the fish that is being bullied hides in little spots all day and doesn't swim around until feeding time, and even then he has to eat quickly until the others spot him and chase him away. With all of that background given, here is my question: is there any other method I could use to stop these problems? All of the things I have been told and that I have read online haven't helped. I want to find a fix that will make all of them nice to each other without me having to change around the tank every week. Any questions that you might have, please ask, and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, here's the images of the fish (When I get close to them they swim around like crazy because they think its feeding time, sorry if they are blurry)
IMG_6493.jpegThis one is a mickey mouse platy (Male, about 4 months old)

IMG_6507.jpegThis one is a painted platy (Male, about 4 months old)

IMG_6527.jpegThis is another painted platy (Male, about 5 months old and is the one currently being bullied)

I'm struggling w my plays being bullies too. Only male bullying other male and no interest in the females. I thi k I need more females to balance things out but I hoped the 100ltr tanK would be large enough that everyone had their own room to hide and chill. I will see what adding some mOre Females does to lower the bullying before I remove them to a different tAnk.

Most reactions

trending

Back