Problems in my fry tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Joby

Hypan addict
Reaction score
I've just noticed that 2 of my eleven 4 week old guppy fry have what seems to be a white film on the edge of the tail one of them and on the underside of the body on another. These look sort of furry a bit like stuff that has been at the bottom of the ocean for years. The tail is clamped on one of them but the other is swimming round ok. I have noticed some flicking lately on them.

Brief history of tank. Set it going 10 days ago with gravel from cycled tank and sponge filter that was kept in cycled tank for a week. Put the 11 guppy fry in and all seemed fine. Last monday I got 15 new fry from another guppy and they have gone straight in there. Have been doing regular tests and noticed that the nitrite went up probably due to the new load with the babies. Have been doing a daily water change of 20% and its slowly coming down and tonight is .1

My dilemma is firstly these guys were from a guppy that I lost on Sunday when she had fry that got stuck so I want to do everything I can not to lose them. Secondly I'm worried that if I treat the whole tank then the newer babies won't survive the meds as has happened before when I treated the community tank for fin rot some weeks back when I didn't have a quarantine tank.

I have a quarantine tank now which has 3 mickey mouse platy in that I got last week. Unfortunately I noticed a chunk of tail missing off one of the females when I got them home so dosed the tank with finrot meds. Its no worse a week later and the other female is fine. The male however has over the last 4 days developed a milky film on his tail.

I'm not sure what to treat him for now, he's all clamped up now and is shimmying slightly. So can I release my females into the main community tank as the meds should have worked on them. Then treat my male platy and these 2 guppy fry for the same thing, whatever that is :crazy:

Don't know what to do so your input here would be greatfully received and sorry about the long post

So if it sounds like fungus then the quarantine tank and a dose of finrot meds is ok then? Its the only thing I can think that it could be, doesn't look like anything else. It also could be what is the problem with the male platy. Will pop them in with the other guys and do a second week of finrot treatment then and fingers crossed that no more of the babies get it!

Normally I would dose the tank they came out of as well, but as I said before, when I've used this medicine in the past with young fry they have died. Not sure whether the meds killed them or perhaps that they could have had finrot and that caused them to die.

Its all so frustrating :(

Most reactions

Back