Problem With My Penguin Tetras - Advice Needed!

larajade

New Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've had a tropical tank set up for a few weeks and finally got around to filling it with a range of fish, I made sure when I bought them from pet stores that they were community fish and always asked the shopkeepers for advice.

I have 1 plec, 2 clown loaches, 10 neon tetras, 2 gouramis, 6 guppies, 3 danios & 2 penguin tetras.

The danios and penguin tetras were purchased last and we introduced them to the tank about four days ago, all was well until this morning I placed some cucumber in for the plec and when I come back downstairs, I noticed one of the pearl danios had a hole in it's side, it definately looked like it had been nipped. I was thinking it could have been me at first as I'd put the cucumber on a metal wire, but then I watched them for a while and I noticed the two penguin tetras were chasing the other fish, especially the guppies and distressing them.
I looked online and noticed a few places say that the penguin tetras are fin nippers and can be aggressive! So much for them being community fish..

I've now place them in the tank but in a seperate little plastic square cup so they can be kept in the water but can't get at the other fish and they are fine now. I am hoping to take them back to the place I bought them from tomorrow, I just hope I've got the right fish and it isn't one of the others that nipped the danio..


Any advice? Are these fish always aggressive to other community fish?


here's my tank, all the fish had to hide when i took it!


Thanks,
Lara.
 
Hi Lara and welcome to the forum.
What size tank have you got?
Clown Loaches can reach up to 12", best kept in groups of 5+ and need to be kept in a tank that is at least 95G.
Penguin Tetras are also a shoaling fish and need to be kept in groups of 6+. They are known to fin nip but when kept in groups, there is less chance of them picking on your other fish.
What type of Danios have you got? Some of these are also known to fin nip and again, should be kept in groups of 6+.
 
The tank is a reasonable size but i'm planning to upgrade in about two years, which is why i've got quite a few fish (i must say i've become quite a fanatic after buying these fish)!

I don't know the gallons as my boyfriend sorted that out when he had to put the watersafe in, but I have this from the book..

all in CM

Length - 61
Width - 31
Height - 46

its this little one - it looks tiny on the photo - http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/JuwelRek...0SmallImage.jpg


I was told about the clown loaches but he said he's never seen one grow that big, and I realised i'd be getting a bigger tank when they'd have grown quite a bit. and i didn't know about the danios, i wasn't advised on that.

What would your advice be on the penguin tetras? take them back and swap for a community fish, or? And the danios?


Thank you!!
 
Like stang1 said, 6+ penguins is needed to stop aggresion, take them back or get more, your tank is 80l/ 15UK gal which is i think is borderline/ to small even at this stage when the fish are still small!, what type is your plec? If it is common, that can grow to approx 20"+ When you upgrade, i would reccomend a 180l/ 40g
 
oh sorry, the danios I have are 1 x zebra and 2 x glass danios. it was one of the glass ones that was nipped, not sure if he'll survive, he's swimming around the back in the weeds :(
 
It might be worth rehoming the Danios and Penguin Tetras as the tank is a little overstocked.
Don't blame yourself, many people seem to get bad or lack of advice when buying fish.
I'd personally rehome the Clown Loaches as they are better in a group and your tank hasn't got the room, I'm afraid.
Once you've got a new tank, you can always buy some them and they'll be a lot happier.
Any idea what type of Pleco you have?
 
thanks, i will take those back tomorrow. i am hanging on to the clown loaches as i think they make the tank, they seem to enjoy hiding in the weeds and the scenery, I will definately think about upgrading in a while anyway. :)

I'm not sure, he is black with slightly lighter spots and has a bristleymouth.
 
Please reconsider rehoming the Loaches, they are a sociable fish and are a lot better in a group. They will hide a lot as they are shy when kept singly or as a pair.

Clown Loach

It sounds like you have a Bristlenose Pleco so nothing to worry about, they only grow 4"-6" but they are big waste producers. You'll need to gravel vac quite regularly to make sure your water stays clean.

Does it look like this:

Bristlenose
 
Looks like you have a Common Pleco which can grow up to 18". Will need a tank at least 5x2x2 and will also produce lots of waste. Has it got bristles like the one in the other picture as Commons don't have these?
 
Looks like you have a Common Pleco which can grow up to 18". Will need a tank at least 5x2x2 and will also produce lots of waste. Has it got bristles like the one in the other picture as Commons don't have these?


i'll need to take another look..
 
what size tank would you recommend? i wish my living room was bigger!
 
Lol. Don't we all?!
If it's a Bristlenose, then your tank will be fine. If it's a Common, then it will need a tank that is about 5ft x 2ft x 2ft.
 
Difficult to tell from that photo but could well be a Common, I'm afraid.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top