Problem With Bolivian Rams!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fluval-1200

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have 4 bolivian rams, think its 3 females and 1 male..........They just constantly attack and lip lock eachother??

Also is anyone elses rams slow at eating?, they seem to sit there nibbling it.

First, we could use a bit more information about the tank that houses your rams:

What's your tank-size [volume and surface area]? Is it planted? Are their caves and other hiding places? What other fish are housed in it? How long have you had them? How old are they?

Answers to these may help.

As for feeding, my female is super active at feeding times while my male tends to hang back.  I don't know if that is normal, but that seems to be how it goes with mine.  they do best with, it would seem, with smaller pellets than with wafers so I always break the wafers up a little.  But if they have nice full bellies, then whatever they are doing it is fine.

Finally, if you want, you could post some pictures to make sure that they are the sexes that you think they are.

r.w.girard said:
First, we could use a bit more information about the tank that houses your rams:

What's your tank-size [volume and surface area]? Is it planted? Are their caves and other hiding places? What other fish are housed in it? How long have you had them? How old are they?

Answers to these may help.

As for feeding, my female is super active at feeding times while my male tends to hang back.  I don't know if that is normal, but that seems to be how it goes with mine.  they do best with, it would seem, with smaller pellets than with wafers so I always break the wafers up a little.  But if they have nice full bellies, then whatever they are doing it is fine.

Finally, if you want, you could post some pictures to make sure that they are the sexes that you think they are.
Its a 323 litre tank, aload of plants and caves etc.
Ive got 1 sailfin pleco
4 tiger barb
3 albino tiger barb
3 smiling acaras
2 paradise fish
4 bolivian rams

There not as rounded as pictures on google, they look kinda gaunt.
Looking closer 2 of them have different shape tails than the other 2, 2 have straight tail the other 2 have sorta curved tails with little red bits coming off the top and bottom.

They are lip locking a lot and constantly starting on eachother.

Thanks for that link had a look today and I have 3 males and 1 female. that must be the problem - gonna try and swap a male for a female with the shop I bought them from, hopefully they say yes and that sorts the aggression

Yea the only way to really sex them is a) to have fully matured adults - which is never the case when buying new fish - or b) to check the ventricle - which is hard in pictures.  Anyway, I am glad that you were able to find something that may help.  You could also always add two more females if you have the surface space.  I am not sure about your Acaras - I've never kept them - but you would need to take them into account as well.

Would be nice to see a pic of this tank.  It sounds a great size :)  Hope you are gonna fill it with plenty more dwarf cichlids :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back