Probably not the right place to put this...

tekknocolor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This is probably not the right place to post this, but I've even tried the beginner thread and no response for hours. And since there's a lot of tanks using something other than rock gravel... Here's what's going on:

I have questions concerning what to use in the bottom of a tank. I know there are different kinds of substrates for use in a tank, but don't know what the benefits are to them nor how to care for it. I currently have gravel in my tank, but wanted to go to something like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1090437525821

But don't know really anything about it. I wanted something that looked more natural and also the gravel gets icky algae around the edges and shows up terribly. My main question would be, I guess, I currently vacuum my gravel, would I do the same for this kind of substate or what do I do when cleaning the tank? Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated. Help, please!

Thanks!

-- Leigh Ann

it looks like sand i the sand is so abrasive that poop and crap cant get under it so all the food and poop would stay on top. and you have to let it soak for a quite a while before you put it in your tank. so no siphoning it need i just clean it off the top.

i just use a fish net and srcap the stuff into the net without picking up sand.

:D Hi
Iv heard(actually Iv read) that some peeps on here use a gravel vac, but just skim it over the surface os the sand instead of submerging it in the sand. I dont have sand though, so I couldnt say for sure how well it works. I have switched to a very fine light light beige gravel in my tanks. I love it because it looks alot like sand, but still vacs like gravel. I have also heard some sand users say that it has to be a very thin layer of sand, because It can develop toxic or dead spots.

Thanks so much for the responses... I was seriously thinking this was not going to work out since I couldn't find anything out about it. I didn't think it would be fair since so many others have sand in their tanks... :(

Are there any articles that tell more information on this?

I guess it's back to researching it... thanks so much and if anyone else has additional information, it would be great :)

THANKS!

:fish: You can use well washed(by you) playpit sand as a substrate in your tank.
It's a lot cheaper than aquarium sand and looks just as good. ;)
You need a layer about 1 inch deep(without plants) or 2 ins if you want plants.
Plants grow really well in sand but you must add nutrients in the form of fertilizer tabs around the roots. :D

To clean your sand first stir the surface gently with your fingers or a planting stick, then use a gravel vac just above the surface to suck up all the wastes, make sure not to disturb the plants roots. :)

If you have plants with very vigorous root systems they will help to keep the sand sweet and stop the aenaerobic spots around plants. B)
hth :D

Most reactions

Back