Prevention Is Better Than Cure

saz326

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hertfordshire
A special measure I take; to discourage disease and ensure my fish are fighting fit I dose the tank with a "general tonic" to add vitamins and minerals to the tank water. I do this once monthly after a weekly water change.

Touch wood - (dare I say this) my tank has been disease free for 2 years! And for most of that time I havent quaranteeded as I didnt have the space for another tank. (always asked for my LFS to quaranteen for me!)

Any of you do anything special that you think encourages extra health?
 
I rotate my tanks 73 degrees clockwise at the full moon ... actually I have no aquariums up and running at the moment, but if I did I'm sure that's what I would do.

On a more serious note however, what's in your tonic? I'm intrigued!

Kind regards

Jimi
 
Nothing unusual really. 50% water changes on ALL tanks every single week, filter maintenece when it's required. I don't add anything to the water. You shouldn't really need to .
 
I rotate my tanks 73 degrees clockwise at the full moon ... actually I have no aquariums up and running at the moment, but if I did I'm sure that's what I would do.

On a more serious note however, what's in your tonic? I'm intrigued!

Kind regards

Jimi

You had me squirt water out mi nose then!

My "general tonic" is a combination of a treatment and some leaves.
http://www.eshalabs.com/optima.htm

The optima stuff from eSHa labs replaces several key elements that aren't at the correct levels in tap waters. (and completely removed from RO water)

The leaves are Indian almond tree leaves. I tear a leaf up into 4 pieces and drop it into the tank monthly. The fish love to play with the leaves, and they slowly release a natural antiseptic (think tea-tree) into the water.
 
^^Oh I do love snake oils :lol: Sorry, that Esha stuff won't do any harm, there is nothing in it that is harmful, but it won't help either, again as there is nothing medication wise in it... Fish should remain healthy without readies and cures. Simple regular maintanance should be enough. if it isn't, to be blunt, your care is not up to scratch. Tap water conditioner is disputably needed when you re-fill your tank (many recomend it, but I don't use it :shifty: ) but all other additives are a complete waste of money if your care is good.

So, to answer your question, preventative measures

QT all new live stock before going in to the main tank. 4 weeks for trusted sources, 6 for un-trusted or un-known sources minimum.
Weekly water changes

Anything else is snake oil and a waste of money, or potentially harmful to your system :nod:

All the best
Rabbut
 
^
Anything else is snake oil and a waste of money, or potentially harmful to your system :nod:


Ooooh - we have a purist in our midst!

Certainly theres no medicinal value in it, but it does seem to help balance out the water chemistry and has induced spawing in my "black water" fishes. But hey - im not arguing here as you're keeping healthy fishies so I guess we're both doing something right.

...I do like my snakes well oiled. :D
 
I depend on big water changes and good water movement, which makes for good oxygentation, to keep my fish healthy. :D
 
I add aquarium salt every third water change (I change approx 30% every 3 days) and once a month I add a drop of tea tree oil watered down by 4 litres of water to the tank.
 
Black water extract and the leaves you mention release/contain tanins, and certainly do help "black water" fish to spawn in medium to soft water. As a spawning aid, they are great, but they do nothing to help health :good:

There is evidence to suggest that salt is harmful to fish. It increases the osmotic pressure on them. This can lead to premature organ failure and death. While salt is great for mild bacterial infection treatment, such as fin rot, and can de-detoxify Nitrate and nitrite on a short-term basis, for long-term preventative use it is doing harm.

Tea Tree Oil is a mild anticeptic. It is that mild that IME it is only good for helping along fins that are already healing. Probably won't do any harm as it isn't based on anything that is in other "off the shelf" meds (melafix aside). If it were anything other than tea tree oil though, you'd run the risk of creating medication resistive bacteiral strains in your tank. Clearly not good if the fish go down with something. How do you treat something that is immune to all available meds? Most Bacterial meds are based on the same active ingredient, just use different amounts of it and sometimes mix it with other meds.

All the best
Rabbut
 

Most reactions

Back
Top