Preparing Live Food Such As Daphnia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kaidonni

Fishaholic
Reaction score
It's been a year since I last fed my White Cloud Mountain Minnows any live food - particularly daphnia (never fed them it before, it's just been the once) - and as I'd like to vary their diet beyond flake food and the occasional de-frosted pea, I've been considering feeding some daphnia and (over)thinking about the potential risks of fish catching parasites and other diseases from live food.

Prior to feeding to the fish (mere minutes), would it be fine to just treat daphnia - as well as other live foods - with one of the over-the-counter medicines available? Which one(s) would be best for this? All just as a preventative. Obviously if the fish have been treated with any medicines, then it's wise not to do this too soon afterwards as there could be mixing of the medicines, but otherwise...is it a viable approach, or is it overkill?

It's been almost two weeks since I last treated the fish with a mix of Esha 2000 and Esha Exit, used a carbon pad for about 4-5 hours on the 5th to remove the remainder, plus a 50% water change. A 50% water change today also, as I have been away for all that time (so it really did need a clean after almost 2 weeks). Would this have left sufficient time between the treatments and any intent to treat live food before feeding it to the fish, or would it be best to play it safe and wait a little longer? I also use Prime, which might cause an issue, although if the medicine is ingested by the live food, would it react? Except I'd have to find a way to get the live food into the tank without pouring the treated water back in (and it might have to be a small amount of tank water also)...you can tell I look at every possibility, even overthink and worry about messing things up.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I feed daaphnia to all of my fish on a very regular basis and collect from a number of locations from stagnant water, duck ponds and fish ponds.   I do not treat any live foods, all I do is rinse the [/SIZE]daphnia with [SIZE=10.5pt]clean water through a net. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I have collected and fed [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]daphnia to my fish for more than 25 year’s , there is always a [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]risk of diseases although I haven’t had any issues apart from the odd harmless bugs.[/SIZE]

One of the  Weird and wonderful bugs  sometimes collected with live foods.

Water mite. Twice the size of a Daphinia

IMG_0371 (640x391).jpg

This one has been happily swimming around in one of my tanks for the past six weeks.

Another good  live food is the glass worm 
[attachment=78504:IMG_0309 (640x480) 

Attachments

• IMG_0309 (640x480) (2) (640x480) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0309 (640x480) (2) (640x480) - Copy.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the reassurance. I'd be sourcing my daphnia from my local fish shop, but I think I'll only go as far as pouring them into a net, then pouring some fish tank water into that net and finally dipping the net into the tank so the daphnia can swim free. A lot less messing about, and that way the live food will probably stay live.

You could always start up some of your own  green water bottles and then save some of the daphnia and keep your own supply of daphnia going. This will eliminate the any risks of diseases or unwanted parasites from either wild collectioning or from a pet shop/LFS.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back