Premature Molly Labor?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lina

Reaction score
Hello TFF, I woke up today as usual to feed my tank of mollys and platys, and I saw one single molly fry. I thankfully just purchased a breeding net yesterday since I knew the fish would come soon. However, the female molly still looks very pregnant and is moving a lot slower, the male looks to be chasing her around and I was wondering if I should do anything to help her. I have never kept or had fish that delivered livebearers before. I heard putting the female into the breeding net would help, but it could stress her and I don’t want the other fry to be eaten. Does anyone have advice or something I should do?

Female is around 6 months old and has never been bred before

Hello TFF, I woke up today as usual to feed my tank of mollys and platys, and I saw one single molly fry. I thankfully just purchased a breeding net yesterday since I knew the fish would come soon. However, the female molly still looks very pregnant and is moving a lot slower, the male looks to be chasing her around and I was wondering if I should do anything to help her. I have never kept or had fish that delivered livebearers before. I heard putting the female into the breeding net would help, but it could stress her and I don’t want the other fry to be eaten. Does anyone have advice or something I should do?

let her be
she will not be stressed

Not always will a female drop all fry at once. Most fry that are born sooner, had more nutrients in the egg they were in. Those embryos will develop and grow faster and will be born sooner than embryos that have a normal amount of nutrients in the egg.
If I don't have a extra tank left at some point to put a pregnant female in, I'll put such a female in a bucket. And let her drop her fry in there. That will give her more space than a breeder net. If it's a temporary situation that a female should be kept seperate from the other fish, a bucket will be fine.

Not always will a female drop all fry at once. Most fry that are born sooner, had more nutrients in the egg they were in. Those embryos will develop and grow faster and will be born sooner than embryos that have a normal amount of nutrients in the egg.
If I don't have a extra tank left at some point to put a pregnant female in, I'll put such a female in a bucket. And let her drop her fry in there. That will give her more space than a breeder net. If it's a temporary situation that a female should be kept seperate from the other fish, a bucket will be fine.
yes breeder box too small

put the male in the breeder box for a week and leave the female in the main tank with lots of plants. Then you can move the babies into the net and move the male back into the main tank.

put the male in the breeder box for a week and leave the female in the main tank with lots of plants. Then you can move the babies into the net and move the male back into the main tank.
he would be fine with the other fry and not eat it?

he would be fine with the other fry and not eat it?
The male molly won't normally eat the babies, especially if the adult fish are well fed. But the males harass the females before, during and after giving birth so by separating the male, you give the female a chance to have the babies and recover without being molested by the male.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back