Pregnant Sword Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmyStroodle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think my female sword tail is pregnant. Sorry if this is a silly question but is there anything special I need to do for them? Like not do a water change? Leaving the light on less/more? Feeding them baby fish food? (Wow I'm a noob) 

Will they get sucked into my filter? D:

You don't need to anything special, no.

You can crush up some of whatever the adults are eating until it's really small, if you want, but they can pick at the adults food.

Adding some hiding places (live plants are best) would be good, if you want some fry to survive, but do bear in mind that each female can have 30 or 40 fry, every 30 days, so you're talking a lot of fish, potentially.

They shouldn't get sucked into your filter, no, unless it's massively overpowered for the size of tank. If it's in the Aquanano (swordtails are too big for it long term, but that's another matter) you can pull the sponge up a bit so it blocks the slots altogether; I run mine like that because I have shrimp (who have a habit of getting into filters; quite possibly on purpose, silly things), and the filter system still works perfectly.

Make sure you have lots of plants for the fry to hide in, no special care for them, you Could purchase fry food but most people just crush regular flakes very finely or you could partially boil an chicken egg, take out the yellow part that is still slightly runny, mix with water, strain, and then feed them this with a dropper, they love it and it will boost their health! (with the experience I have had anyway) 

Be sure to do water changes often, male fry will release a hormone to keep the other male fry (competition of survival to them) smaller, the water changes will remove the hormone and ensure each fry grows properly. 

There is no way to ensure the life of every fry is saved, some are bound to get eaten, but if you do all this you should have some surviving new members to your tank :) good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back