Pregnant platy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thoughts on what's up with the Neon Mickey Mouse Platy?

Can't really tell if something is going on with this platy. It looks okay to me. I assume that she's just younger. But not that wellfed as the other ones. But maybe the other ones are faster with grabbing the food. That does happen.

So she started doing this weird floaty/drifty thing last night, with only her tail moving and her mouth near the surface. She didn't eat at all this morning. I put two tablespoons of API Aquarium Salt in the tank, and am going to check my parameters as soon as I have time. The other two seem fine. Here are some videos of her.https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNqf_pxGDBrmQ6-Hv3bEw3ePTRsJlwaAdNiRF6s
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOBIGP3f3PwQALlbsPAs9TB_Tjp4mbJh5d5OYYg
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMRSOM-JgnEh6K5G4bTGYnmq1vesIdCAD3xFGW0
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMaFX_l1c0HfPAr6UVQMqpsLFhrwS-tC2pOE4K0

Thoughts? She's still doing it, and hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning as far as I know.... I'm starting to get concerned.
(Edited to @Colin_T , @emeraldking since they have helped me before)

Last edited:
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

What does the fish's poop look like?
What symptoms does the fish have?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
Are the other fish still in the same tank with this one?

I'm not able to see the videos of your links. Try what ColinT proposed... Upload them to Youtube.

I am unsure what her poop looks like.
She is lethargic, she doesn't want to eat, and she drifts listlessly around the aquarium.
Ammonia: 0ppm. Nitrite: 0ppm. Nitrate: Less than 20ppm. pH: 7.8
There are two other Platties and a tiger nerite snail in the tank.
One thing I did notice was that my alkalinity dropped from 120ppm to around 40-50ppm, could that cause anything? I am unsure why it dropped.

When you use salt, add 1 or 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.

The fish looks stressed and might be getting bullied by the other fish. Its gills appear a bit flared too, which might be gill flukes or possibly ammonia poisoning (if the fish was exposed to ammonia in the last few weeks).

Gill flukes can be treated with 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water, for 2 weeks.

Apart from salt the only other thing to try is a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. Maybe clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. But don't clean it if the filter is less than 6 weeks old.

----------------------
A drop in KH shouldn't make any difference unless the pH drops too (they are linked). But the pH is 7.8 so that means the KH is still high enough to keep the pH stable.

A sudden drop in GH might be an issue but it would have to be significant (eg: GH used to be 250ppm and is now 100ppm).

When you use salt, add 1 or 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.

The fish looks stressed and might be getting bullied by the other fish. Its gills appear a bit flared too, which might be gill flukes or possibly ammonia poisoning (if the fish was exposed to ammonia in the last few weeks).

Gill flukes can be treated with 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water, for 2 weeks.

Apart from salt the only other thing to try is a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. Maybe clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. But don't clean it if the filter is less than 6 weeks old.

----------------------
A drop in KH shouldn't make any difference unless the pH drops too (they are linked). But the pH is 7.8 so that means the KH is still high enough to keep the pH stable.

A sudden drop in GH might be an issue but it would have to be significant (eg: GH used to be 250ppm and is now 100ppm).
There has been no ammonia that my test kit can pick up since I got them two months ago. I'm sorry, I'm still pretty new to fish keeping, but what are GH's and KH's?

GH is hardness, the amount of calcium and magnesium in the water. Soft water has few minerals so has a low GH while hard water has lots of minerals and has a high GH.
GH affects the fish directly, and we should aim to keep fish which come from water with a similar GH to our tap water.

KH is carbonate hardness, and is a measure of the amount of carbonate and bicarbonate in the water. Roughly speaking, KH is high or low with GH though there are exceptions. Alkalinity is another name for KH.
KH affects fish indirectly. It stabilises pH; when KH is high there are lots of carbonates which keep the pH stable, but low KH can get used up and the pH tends to fall.

GH is hardness, the amount of calcium and magnesium in the water. Soft water has few minerals so has a low GH while hard water has lots of minerals and has a high GH.
GH affects the fish directly, and we should aim to keep fish which come from water with a similar GH to our tap water.

KH is carbonate hardness, and is a measure of the amount of carbonate and bicarbonate in the water. Roughly speaking, KH is high or low with GH though there are exceptions. Alkalinity is another name for KH.
KH affects fish indirectly. It stabilises pH; when KH is high there are lots of carbonates which keep the pH stable, but low KH can get used up and the pH tends to fall.
Thank you! My kit does test for both of those. Hardness was 300 ppm, and alkalinity was around 40-50. My water where I come from is always that hard, and my alkalinity is usually around 120-140

UPDATE:
Eve died sometime overnight. :( I am very upset, considering I don't know if it was something I could have helped with if I had more knowledge. I have not tested my params yet as I have been at school, but the other two seem fine so it might have just been a her thing. Thanks for all your help to those who gave me advice.

UPDATE:
Eve died sometime overnight. :( I am very upset, considering I don't know if it was something I could have helped with if I had more knowledge. I have not tested my params yet as I have been at school, but the other two seem fine so it might have just been a her thing. Thanks for all your help to those who gave me advice.
Sorry to hear... :(

UPDATE:
I'm very sorry 🙁

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back