Pregnant Pineapple Swords

leasa

Reaction score
HI all, I am new to the fish world and I am being broke in really fast with 2 pregnant swords, 2 pregnant mollies and a guppy that is gonna explode I think. My question is kinda silly but here goes. Are there any tell tale signs that a sword or guppy is gonna give birth within a day or so? I would love to watch at least once, just to say I did it. They are all in seperate breeder tanks so I can save the babies for my 55 gallon tank. Any help would be appreciated.

:D Hi leasa, welcome to the forum. It's difficult to predict a birthing accurately but the female's gravid spot will be very dark,she'll also be pretty plump! Another sign is the male/s take more interest as she emits hormones. Just keep an eye on them and I'm sure you will have the pleasure of seeing the birth. :D Mac.

Hi Lisa. I have three (or started with) large pineapple/twin bar swords and I am first too admit they are a difficult tell. They don't seem to develop the belly color that is a give away with guppies. You can only judge their date by their size and by carefull daily observation (which is why you have fish). The swords do not grow at the same rapid rate that my guppies do but after three months I must have between 250 and 300 swords now. They are nearing a size that makes them marketable and I will be offering them at local aquarium club auctions (and those few fish shops willing to purchase) starting next week. The pineapples are my favorite color but it would be nice to see some with some hybrid finnage. Tell me how it goies and if yours do give some visible signs other than size and activity. :fun: :look: Cal :blush:

Sorry about my Canadian spelling of your name. Learning to type; some day maybe "Spelling". :S CAl B)

Most reactions

Back