Pregnant Or Sick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sandyroz

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've had this female guppy for say a month or two now and she may have dropped once about a month ago (I have 7 females and I didn't see which ones dropped fry). For the past two or three weeks she has been looking very large almost to the point where she looks squared off but nothing yet. Her gravid spot looks very small though so I'm not even sure how far along she could be. Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.36.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.36.52 PM.png

Gravid spots aren't always a good way to judge when females are ready. Male guppies can have them too and I have had females that have stayed a light color and they drop fry a lot. Some are kind of fat and/or chesty. But she looks pregnant. She may take a while to drop fry though. One of my females took almost 2 months

Haha yea I'm on expert on fish who don't have a changing gravid spot. I have fourteen fry that I managed to find and scoop out. I would say they are from two or three different females since they were born a week apart but absolutely none of my females looked remotely ready to drop. Guess it's just a matter of time. I don't remove my females so it's not a big deal, I was just curious about her size as she is a lot larger than any of my other guppies. Thanks!

You bet! She could just have a huge batch. Some females I have only have 15-20 fry, while others had 30-50.

You seem to have a very preggo guppy on your hands. Look for fry within the next 2-4 weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back