Pregnant Or Not? This Is The Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishlife22

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll! I'm new here and I seeked out this forum because I am a new fish owner and I think I have a situation. My friend recently gave me a red eyed tetra and a Orange platy fish. I noticed that the orange platy has a huge belly and but the previous owner never had any other fish in the tank but those two for a year. I think I may have some hybrids on the way soon. But you guys tell me what you think? I really do appreciate it!

- fishlife22
Here she is

Attachments

• PHOTO_20140108_122450.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122450.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 58
  • PHOTO_20140108_122536.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122536.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PHOTO_20140108_122811.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122811.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 61
Hey ya'll! I'm new here and I seeked out this forum because I am a new fish owner and I think I have a situation. My friend recently gave me a red eyed tetra and a Orange platy fish. I noticed that the orange platy has a huge belly and but the previous owner never had any other fish in the tank but those two for a year. I think I may have some hybrids on the way soon. But you guys tell me what you think? I really do appreciate it!

- fishlife22
Another picture

Attachments

• PHOTO_20140108_122450.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122450.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 51
  • PHOTO_20140108_122536.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122536.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 50
  • PHOTO_20140108_122811.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122811.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 52
  • PHOTO_20140108_122847.jpg
    PHOTO_20140108_122847.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 53
I'm not certain on being pregnant I don't have that type of fishy, but if I had to guess I'd say yes, but no idea how far along.  I'd be concerned about the white stringy poo however, usually means parasites

BelldandyShanny said:
I'm not certain on being pregnant I don't have that type of fishy, but if I had to guess I'd say yes, but no idea how far along.  I'd be concerned about the white stringy poo however, usually means parasites
How long is their gestation? And how do I tell if it is parasites for sure? How do I get rid of them?

I've read on the internet the average gestation period for a Platy is around about 28-32 days. I cant see the gravid spot in the photo., but I think that's just because of her colouring. Im guessing she is pregnant :) Hope this helps.

~Ashley

She could be pregnant even if she hasn't been with a male for months, they can store sperm, but if it's been a year or so since she's been with a male she probably isn't pregnant.
Gestation is anything from 4-5 weeks, as for you getting hybrids from the tetra, that definitely can't happen.
I would starve her for 24/ 48 hours & see if she loses that bloated appearance then feed her a deshelled crushed pea in case she's constipated

I don't think you can get a hybrid of those two. If that is a female she may be full of eggs, but it also could be dropsy. I can't tell from the pictures, but fish with dropsy would be lethargic, have distended bellies, eyes could bulge, and scales would point out in an effect similar to a pinecone.

The tetra and platy will never cross breed. Their chromosomes wouldn't match. Females can sometimes just be really chesty.  They may seem pregnant but could just be fat.
Also, does she always have white stringy poo?

bluesword23516 said:
The tetra and platy will never cross breed. Their chromosomes wouldn't match. Females can sometimes just be really chesty.  They may seem pregnant but could just be fat.
Also, does she always have white stringy poo?
no she doesn't always have stringy poo it just did it like that one time. Usually it is the same color like her food. The maybe the previous owner had more fish and didn't tell me about it?

She has never been alone. She has lived with the red tetra for a year. I think now that she may just be full of eggs. Someone told me to turn off the lights and shine a flashlight on her to see more clearly. I saw redish circles and I think she is just full of eggs. I got a male platy to breed her with. :) hopefully it will be successful :)

Live bearers need a ratio of 2/3 females per male, the downside to this is loads of fry.
If you have just one of each sex the male will continually harass the female, possibly to death

Lillefishy said:
Live bearers need a ratio of 2/3 females per male, the downside to this is loads of fry.
If you have just one of each sex the male will continually harass the female, possibly to death
I agree.  Get at least one other female and if he is still very aggressive toward them try to get another.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back