Pregnant or bloated?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baizahra

Reaction score
20180728_190331.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the scales are sticking out sideways from the body then it has an internal infection. However, it does not look like the scales are sticking out so I would say she is well and truly pregnant.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank, including floating plants, and don't stress her out.

Last edited:
Thanks much Colin_T. She's got no scales sticking out, but she's been big for a long time that's why I was curious. Maybe I'm impatient, lol. Yes, I do have enough floaty plants and I made a little hiding spot for the fries. I've also attempted to make infusoria for the fries. So I guess it's just a waiting game. It is my first time, so I am excited.

How long has she been fat for?
If it's been more than 1 month she could have intestinal worms. Quite often livebearers and other fish get intestinal worms and if they have lots of worms they get fat and look pregnant. If the fish has been fat for more than a month then you can try treating them with Praziquantel for tapeworm, and Levamisole for thread/ round worm.

:huh:. Well, couple weeks ago she looked as big as she is today. I thought she was going to deliver then but no babies yet. Maybe I should give her one more week before treating her? Also, would the meds affect her pregnancy if she truly is pregnant? I do have a Male and another female who loves to hide from the Male in same tank. They both are pretty lean.

Praziquantel and Levamisole are safe for pregnant fish and baby fish.

If she has only been fat for a couple of weeks then wait a few more weeks because the normal gestation period is about 1 month.

re: the other 2 fish that hide a lot. They are being bullied by the dominant male in the tank. Livebearers should be kept in single sex tanks if possible, alternatively, keep 5 or 6 females per male so the stress and harassment from the males is spread out over a number of females.

If the other fish are slim they could also have worms.

Hmm.. thank you so much for all your help. I'll keep an eye open for babies. If no fries then their treatment.

Also, I'll consider getting more females due to the stress from harassment. :)

Guess what? Just came back from vacation and I see 4 fries. So soooo happy. Yay.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back