Pregnant Guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lior Azar

Reaction score
Hi,

I have got this guppy 2 days ago from pet store.
On your opinion, how close to labor is she?
She is eating, quite aggressive, swimming in one spot a lot, but she isn't hiding or something like that..
I attached some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_120048.jpg
    IMG_20210201_120048.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210201_120049.jpg
    IMG_20210201_120049.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20210201_120047.jpg
    IMG_20210201_120047.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210201_120045.jpg
    IMG_20210201_120045.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 50
She looks fairly close to me, But if you have only recently got her she may take a few days to get used to her new surroundings. What else have you got in the tank with her?

She looks fairly close to me, But if you have only recently got her she may take a few days to get used to her new surroundings. What else have you got in the tank with her?
Thanks for your answer!

I brought with her a male that was in the same tank in the pet store, and got 2 Pelcos in the tank(its breeding tank), so its pretty empty..

Just watch for signs of the male harrasing her, She can get very stressed & abort the birth or worse still,The male can kill her through harrasing her during birth.
If you plan on keeping any fry you can place her in a breeding box although i dont recommend this.
Or leave her in the tank but give the fry plenty of hiding places so they are not eaten. Believe it or not they are clever & can lie low until they grow a little

My first batch of fry were born in a community tank with 4 adult female,2 Male Guppies, 4 Cory cats & 4 Zebra Danios, i found a good few fry hiding & managed to save them. The few that i didnt find came out & started swimming around with the adults after 3 weeks

Just watch for signs of the male harrasing her, She can get very stressed & abort the birth or worse still,The male can kill her through harrasing her during birth.
If you plan on keeping any fry you can place her in a breeding box although i dont recommend this.
Or leave her in the tank but give the fry plenty of hiding places so they are not eaten. Believe it or not they are clever & can lie low until they grow a little
So do you recommend moving the male to my main tank and leave her alone in the breeding tank? I got few plants and decorations in the breeding tank so I think the fries will manage :)

Yes put the male back in main tank then she can give birth peacefully, as soon as shes finished put her back in the main tank too.
That way you can concentrate on the fry only tank, Its just a bit easier to take care of & the fry wont have to worry about being eaten.
Ideally the male needs a tankmate whilst the female is in the other tank but he should be ok for a day or 2 on his own

I had a fry only tank whilst my 4 batches of fry were growing up.
I have got rid of most of them now including the adults, So i can start a new strain of my own. But i had 200 fry just before xmas time, I kept a few back for myself to breed

The picture is some of the fry i was collecting out of the main tank, Thats why they are in a breeding box

Attachments

• 20210110_183255.jpg
    20210110_183255.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 55
Yes put the male back in main tank then she can give birth peacefully, as soon as shes finished put her back in the main tank too.
That way you can concentrate on the fry only tank, Its just a bit easier to take care of & the fry wont have to worry about being eaten.
Ideally the male needs a tankmate whilst the female is in the other tank but he should be ok for a day or 2 on his own
Hi again.

Over 12 hours now it seems like something stuck under her anal fin. It's not poop because I saw her poop many times...

Do you think she is stuck in giving birth? I'm really worried about her...

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_145010.jpg
    IMG_20210202_145010.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi again.

Over 12 hours now it seems like something stuck under her anal fin. It's not poop because I saw her poop many times...

Do you think she is stuck in giving birth? I'm really worried about her...
Hey! I just read over these.

Your guppy looks VERY close to giving birth. My platy just gave birth and she had the same bulge on her cloaca area. She just might be ready to give birth. It looks to me the fry have moved down and are ready to be pushed out.

If you want to keep them, I suggest moving them to a different tank. If you don't really want to, you can leave them but as said above, some might still survive.

Good luck!

It sometimes happends that the newborns dont want to leave the mom but Just leave her to it,She will be fine. Just make sure she is not to stressed by others, I drop a bit of food in whilst they are giving birth, it seems to keep the mom occupied whilst the fry can swim away & hide & maybe give her a bit more strength during the time shes pushing the fry out

Thats good news then, Are you going to take her out and put her back in the main tank? Give her a little food now if you havent already, She will be hungry

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back