Pregnant Guppy with a Humpback

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

khs666

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hope someone might have seen this before. I've got a pregnant guppy (cool, wow, what a surprise! :D ) who seems to refuse to want to give birth. She's been nipping at the males and platies - also males - for the best part of two weeks. I've put her in the breeding unit to help several times, but to stop her getting distressed I've had to take her out again. Last couple of days I've noticed that not only does she have a bump below she also is developing a bump on her back. Surely not normal!?

I presume she's in difficulty although she seems happy enough (eating etc).

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if it's normal or not...but my one of my pregnant guppies act like this too...but she's perfectly fine.....just as you described your guppy.... :blink:

Today I was looking at my female Guppies noticing the same hump on the back. Wondering the same thing! :eek: But, it is constant with all my females who have been (or are) pregnant.

I don't know what it is. I am guessing it's a development of being pregnant. One of my females gave birth a few weeks back, and still has the hump. Another of my females is giving birth, NOW as I type this response, she too has the hump on her back.

My opinion is - it's normal. No worries!
:thumbs:

I had a Guppy that developed the Humpback while preggers, too. I was told that it can be caused by an immature female being pregnant toooooo early. However, I don't think mine was immature???

Sorry, but that's all the info I have. Hopefully someone else can help you out. :)

thanks to all, at least I know that she isn't alone.... She is a small guppy (much smaller than my other two females) so Mamaschild - you may be right....

Still, she is happy (or seems to be), I'll keep an eye on her

A humpback deformity in pregnant guppies is usually caused by either being pregnant at an early age or the opposite, advanced age. That is if it isn't humpbacked normally, then of course it would be a birth defect.

thanks guppymonkey. She hasn't got a hump normally, and it's only shown in the last week or so. It's getting larger, hopefully she's gone to give birth soon, or she's going to pop....

Most reactions

Back