Pregant Platy Behaviour

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Are pregnant fish very nervous? About 2 weeks ago my pregnant platy started getting really nervous; she'll dart around the tank at feeding seemly afraid of something (I don't think it's me as she would always come to the front when I came to feed her. Today she even ran away from a flake after she bit the flake and part of it brushed her belly. She also spends the morning in the back of her house with her head facing the darkness and only her tail visible.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce any disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Post pictures and video of the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back