Pre cycled filter media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FairyFish

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I’ve heard that you can buy pre-cycled filter media online. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks. :)

Agree with the above; if you are wanting to use "cycled" filter media (the media itself isn't exactly cycled, but contains the beneficial bacteria we need to maintain a cycled tank), it's best to get it from another established tank of your own, or from a friend's tank that you know is safe from pathogens/diseases.

I wouldn't trust "cycled" media from an LFS, either...

Done correctly I can see this being a good service. Once I have a tank cycled I re-use the filter media in multiple tanks. For first timers it means they can get their fish faster rather than waiting weeks for the fishless cycle or going through extensive water changes for a fish in cycle. Consider if the stores sold cycled kits, your kit comes with the tank, filter, light, substrate, fast growing plants, and inoculated media for the tank. More satisfied first timers, fewer cases of "all the fish died" and an excellent opportunity to educate the new fish keepers about the cycle. Now stores sell the tanks fish and filter and expect the owners then to research the cycling on their own.

Not saying this particular vendor is doing a good job with uncontaminated bacteria, but it seems like it might be something that could be helpful to a lot of people just starting out.

Ok so say I wanted to buy the filter media linked above - I’m planning on buying a Top Fin Filter (not a sponge filter). Is there any way to get the beneficial bacteria into the Top Fin Filter or would I be stuck with the sponge filter? (Sorry for all the stupid questions)
Thanks everyone for the help/input!

Done correctly I can see this being a good service. Once I have a tank cycled I re-use the filter media in multiple tanks. For first timers it means they can get their fish faster rather than waiting weeks for the fishless cycle or going through extensive water changes for a fish in cycle. Consider if the stores sold cycled kits, your kit comes with the tank, filter, light, substrate, fast growing plants, and inoculated media for the tank. More satisfied first timers, fewer cases of "all the fish died" and an excellent opportunity to educate the new fish keepers about the cycle. Now stores sell the tanks fish and filter and expect the owners then to research the cycling on their own.

Not saying this particular vendor is doing a good job with uncontaminated bacteria, but it seems like it might be something that could be helpful to a lot of people just starting out.
I could see it too. You could run several filters in an aquarium with nothing living in it and just add ammonia to cycle them. I imagine that they would have to be sent some kind of expedited shipping though.
Even then, how would you really know that someone didn't just send you wet filter media?

Yes you could us the innoculated sponge if you cut it to fit in the new filter. I have used Top Fin, HOB, style filters and I would honestly say I don't recommend them. They don't have good bio media capabilities and they expect you to change cartridges. You might want to consider something like an Aquaclear (no cartridges), or even a foam filter like the company is offering. I have an Aquaclear 70 with a sponge filter and ceramic biomedia that has been running unchange, but cleaned from time to time, for over 5 years now.

Yes you could us the innoculated sponge if you cut it to fit in the new filter. I have used Top Fin, HOB, style filters and I would honestly say I don't recommend them. They don't have good bio media capabilities and they expect you to change cartridges. You might want to consider something like an Aquaclear (no cartridges), or even a foam filter like the company is offering. I have an Aquaclear 70 with a sponge filter and ceramic biomedia that has been running unchange, but cleaned from time to time, for over 5 years now.
I like Aquaclear. I also have an Aqueon Quietflow that has the same kind of set up with a cartridge insert. I just cut a piece of foam to size and put it in place of the carbon filter media. I also put some bio beads in a mesh bag in there for added bio filtration.

Last edited:
I have reduced my number of Aquaclears from its peak of over 30 to the current 18. I have replaced them with air powered Poret cubefilters and Hamburg Mattenfilters- the Poret foam is the key. I even use it in the ACs and one of my canisters.

The only AC media I have ever used are their sponges. When they began including their Bio Max, and therefore raised the price, I always threw it away unopened. Then a friend asked me if she could could have it when I added more ACs and she got it. All of my AC filters are loaded identically--> two sponges with filter floss between them. The floss is replaced weekly as it takes too much time to clean and return it. As the AC sponges wore out I replaced them with the Poret foam. I have been using this since 2012 or so and, to date, I have not had to replace any of it. You can put any kind of media you want into an AC as long as it is not too big to fit.

I have used A marineland Emperor 400 and have small tetra WHipser on a 5.5 gal tank. I even tried the Eheim Liberty hang-on which I really liked, The problem is they only go to a 200 gph model and I run several the AC 70s (300) and one 110 (500). But I also use the 20s, 30s and 50s. The Liberty has a limited number of sizes and also the media options are not wide open the way the AC is. I will never use filter cartridges- that design is designed to enrich the manufacturer and not to help the fish keeper save money.

This is a drawback for Hagen/Fluval who makes them. I still have the first ever AC filter I got almost 22 years ago and it has run the entire time. They rarely fail in any way. Usually one manages to crack or break the plastic portions. The do need to have the impeller well and the impeller cleaned. Failure to do this may mean that a power blink or outage can mean they do not restart when electricity returns.

I have reduced my number of Aquaclears from its peak of over 30 to the current 18. I have replaced them with air powered Poret cubefilters and Hamburg Mattenfilters- the Poret foam is the key. I even use it in the ACs and one of my canisters.

The only AC media I have ever used are their sponges. When they began including their Bio Max, and therefore raised the price, I always threw it away unopened. Then a friend asked me if she could could have it when I added more ACs and she got it. All of my AC filters are loaded identically--> two sponges with filter floss between them. The floss is replaced weekly as it takes too much time to clean and return it. As the AC sponges wore out I replaced them with the Poret foam. I have been using this since 2012 or so and, to date, I have not had to replace any of it. You can put any kind of media you want into an AC as long as it is not too big to fit.

I have used A marineland Emperor 400 and have small tetra WHipser on a 5.5 gal tank. I even tried the Eheim Liberty hang-on which I really liked, The problem is they only go to a 200 gph model and I run several the AC 70s (300) and one 110 (500). But I also use the 20s, 30s and 50s. The Liberty has a limited number of sizes and also the media options are not wide open the way the AC is. I will never use filter cartridges- that design is designed to enrich the manufacturer and not to help the fish keeper save money.

This is a drawback for Hagen/Fluval who makes them. I still have the first ever AC filter I got almost 22 years ago and it has run the entire time. They rarely fail in any way. Usually one manages to crack or break the plastic portions. The do need to have the impeller well and the impeller cleaned. Failure to do this may mean that a power blink or outage can mean they do not restart when electricity returns.
The biggest problem I have with AC's is that they are pretty bad at self priming. My Quietflow no problem. After a water change, all I have to do it plug it back in and it gets right back to work. AquaClear, I have to fill up the reservoir in the back to prime it or else the motor will just run dry. Sometimes the impeller gets stuck. First couple of times, I took the filter apart to clear it. But since then, I've learned that just giving the back of the filter a couple of good knocks right behind the impeller can shake it loose and start it back up.
I've asked the people I live with that if I'm ever not home when the power goes out to unplug my filter. I put duct tape around the cord at the plug so they know which one it is. I have a backup sponge filter going in the tank so it won't go without filtration in that time.

My choice for HOBs is the Seachem Tidal. Quiet, reliable and does not need priming because the pump is under water so it can be dry started. No fancy media cartriges either. Because its Seachem it comes with Matrix in the box but like @TwoTankAmin I threw this out and use plain old sponge.

RE the Sicce Tidal filters...I have/had 7on 4 different tanks (40breeder, two on a 75 gallon, 120, and 125).

So if you have plants and/or a lot of floating debris I would recommend you don't go with the Tidal as the surface skimmer feature can become problematic once it's cloged with debris. I have had several Tidals and have pulled all but one down just because once the surface skimming feature becomes clogged the filter itself starts making a sucking, swirling sound like you wouldn't believe. To the point where we could hear it on the main floor from our filters in the basement. So I currently have two Tidal 110 and two 75 sitting in my spare parts box. The one still up on my 40 breeder is only still up because there are no plants to clog the skimmer. These would be 10/10 without this feature, or the option of removing it. Without they are a 7/10, would not buy again.

Most of my ACs do not drain when there is a power loss and they start. But my tanks are filled to about 1/4 inch or more above the lower edge of thetop frame. This means the tanks water level is high enough that the filter wont drain below the inpeller. I never turn them off when I clean them. All of them have a pre-filter sponge over the intake, I use a brine shrimp net over the sponged end and I remove the entire intake assembly which stops the flow, but not the motor.

I rinse my pre-filter sponges every week. Then I clean the media in the basket and return it. Finally I return the intake, However, I do not put it all the way down so it does not start sucking. I rotate it to the right because then it rests there and won't start sucking. When I have finished working and refilled the tank, I rotate the intake to the left and then down and it resumes working. I never turn them off for weekly maint.

I have 18 ACs running in two building and 4 rooms. The banging may not work. I take one of my tank scissors with me as I check them. If one has not restarted, I rotate the intake right and slide the scissors down along the left side of the U tube tube which guides it into the impeller well. When I touch and flick an impeller blade, it stars up. I cannot see what I am doing but know this will work.

I also tend to have more than one filter on most tanks bigger than a 10 gal. I use multiple heaters as well. Most of the tanks with the ACs have other filters or live plants as a back-up. We get frequent power failures here which caused us to install a whole house back-up generator about 15 years ago. That was some of the best money we have spent. After it went in, we had consecutive years where the power was out for 13 days following hurricanes which came up the east coast and hit NY hard.

The biggest problem I have with AC's is that they are pretty bad at self priming. My Quietflow no problem. After a water change, all I have to do it plug it back in and it gets right back to work. AquaClear, I have to fill up the reservoir in the back to prime it or else the motor will just run dry. Sometimes the impeller gets stuck. First couple of times, I took the filter apart to clear it. But since then, I've learned that just giving the back of the filter a couple of good knocks right behind the impeller can shake it loose and start it back up.
I've asked the people I live with that if I'm ever not home when the power goes out to unplug my filter. I put duct tape around the cord at the plug so they know which one it is. I have a backup sponge filter going in the tank so it won't go without filtration in that time.
Followup to this. Now I've been pretty good about cleaning the filter media. I give the pre filter sponge and the mechanical and bio media a good rinse in old tank water every water change.
But not only was my Aquaclear not self priming, the outflow slowed to a trickle. I realized that it needed a deep cleaning. The impeller was ok. But the intake tubes were pretty gunked up. I used some bottle cleaner brushes to clear them out. That did the trick. The filter is working great now. I tested it out by unplugging it for an hour. When I plugged it back in, it started right back up no problem

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back