Praziquantel/worms

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My fish have worms of some decription (can see them hanging out) and someone advised that you can use kitten wormer as it contains praziquantel. The dosage was 10mg for 190 litres. Has anyone got any experience of this being successful (or not) as it seems to have had no effect after 6 days and every single web site seems to advise a different dose - but all much stronger than the one I'm using. Can anyone also advise whether the ph has to be below 7 for this to be effective (as is the case for levamisole)?

Losing my mind as this is the most difficult problem to cure I've ever faced since keeping fish. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I had plecs with internal parasites, tryed eveything, couldn't get my hands on levamisole.
Two plecs were that bad I had to do the awful deed.
Striped the tank down and never had any problems since.

Thanks Wilder - is that cat and dog worming tablets don't work full stop or don't work unless ph is below 7>

Cheers

I tryed dog worming tablets never worked but my ph wasnt below 7.
It's up to you but it getting the dose right as well.

Thanks Wilder

Just out of interest when you stripped the tank down what did you use to clean it as I've heard these can be tricky to get rid of. I'm presuming that I need to chuck substrate, plants, rocks, bogwood etc? I'm not planning to do this yet but going to give the fish until the new year and want to plan whether I need to ask for fish shop vouchers for christmas in order to re-decorate the tank.

Cheers

Salt solution for the tank then rinse well, and leave the tank to dry out for aday.
Boiling water on the substrate.
Plants if plastic bleach and the rocks rinse well, then leave them to dry.
I would trhow the bogwood away.

Why not get some Flubenol 15? some discus sellers sell it or try ebay/google. That does work and getting the dose right isnt a problem as you cant over dose it

Thanks folks - will look into flubenol 15.

Wilder,

Could I run the tank empty and add bleach to ensure the tank is really ok? I already have some salt in the water so I worry that the worms may have some resistance to it.

If I do use bleach how long should I leave it dry out after before re-filling with water and re-cycling?

Latest plan is to buy a couple of small hospital tanks to move the fish into and treat with a series of praziquantel baths as one molly appears to be clear after getting treatment at 40 mg/L!! At the same time wipe out any eggs that may be in the main tank by bleaching. Keep fish in hospital tanks for couple of months to ensure they don't come back.

Cheers for all advice

If you use bleach you will have to really rinse the tank well.
Let it dry out completely before you refill it, leaving it a day is best.
Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Back