Prairiesunflower's Betta: Firefly (Bought June 13, 2014)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Of course - El Divo!!! lol
I'm so glad Firefly's happy in his new home now!

Cute! :D
It will be interesting to see his fins healing up, and him being able to show off even more. :)

I can't figure out if Firefly is still hungry or just playing.  I fed him 4 pellets that I pre-soaked.  I saw him find 3 of them, not sure he found the 4th one.  But he is still swimming around looking and sometimes tries a piece of duckweed and spits it out.

I was thinking since he is so tiny still that 4 pellets is plenty.

It's probably his way of testing his surroundings. I fed (and still do) my juvenile betta, who was a bit bigger than yours when I got him, only 3 betta pellets a day as their stomach is only as big as one of their eyes. So it wouldn't take much to fill a tiny fish like Firefly.

I will just feed him 3 tomorrow them.

I've had to change his filter around too.... though maybe he was just having fun... but he insists on swimming in the one corner where the flow speed is faster and then breaks so it is calmer everywhere else.  He just goes there then looks like he is struggling.  LOL  So, I've raised the spout more and put the end of my heater against the spout to slow it more... he is still swimming there!

He hasn't flared yet... can't wait to see him flare.

Yes Prairie, my delta seems to like the flow also. I haven't altered it yet, as bizarrely he also seems to like the flow, having said that so did Luther. Although he was a plakat so I wasn't so worried about his tail being damaged.

I really like his name, seems to suit him!

Don't know if you have the time, but maybe you could feed him twice a day?

My youngest son's Betta was very small too when we got him and I started feeding him twice a day because I found 3 pellets in one go were too much for his belly. At each feeding he gets 2 soaked pellets. Since these pellets are a little big I divide them into 4 parts after soaking and he swims right up to take these pieces from the tweezers.

This way his belly is not overly full, and he does not have to be hungry too long until the next feeding, and he gets 4 pellets instead of three. Been doing this now for three weeks or so, he's looking good, not overfed or sick so I'm sticking with it for now. :)

I have the time to feed him twice.  I will try that.

He seems capable of eating the pellets in one bite... his aim catching them just isn't so great.  LOL

Oh, wanted to add.  I can really see what Riley was missing with his fins not growing back during treatment.  I've only had Firefly for two days now and I am quite sure I already see more fin growth in the gap of his biggest part of missing fin.

That's good to hear! He'll be full-finned n tailed in no time at this rate! Then we will expect more pics of your lovely boy!

Just a little update.  I tried really hard to take some pictures of the fin regrowth but it mostly turns invisible in pictures!

You can see some of it here...

I know this one is a blurry picture, but you can see more of the regrowth in this one than the other pictures I tried taking.

He has also developed a touch of red on his pectoral fins, they were nearly invisible before.

It's going to be such a change in before and after photos :D

Firefly is so darn happy all the time.  LOL  He is like a betta on speed... he doesn't even sleep until no one is watching... I caught him asleep one morning for all of about 2 seconds before he was wide and awake and being Mr Happy with Life. 

I thought he was lively in the shop when he flared at my finger... he is WAY more lively at home and hasn't flared a single time... and here I thought reds were known for their tempers!

I did the first water change since I got Firefly.  I worried he'd find it traumatic but it appeared that a water change was the most interesting and exciting thing happening... he loved every moment of it.

Firefly's fins are continuing to grow in nicely... another photo showing his progress.

Most reactions

Back