powerhead

andy216

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know how i could slow down the amount of water a powerhead sucks up? I have a powerhead working through an uplift tube and after the water passes through the filter media it sprays out a thing similar to a spray bar but it sprays out with too much force and the tanks is like a whirlpool! Its only a 10 gallon that i am still cycling but i think there is too much current for most fish.

Someone told me you can put some sponge in the uplift tube but would that damage the powerhead motor? What do you guys think? I am planning on keeping some Bumblebee Gobies in the tank, so they probably wouldn't like too much current!?!?! Someone else also told me a lot of current is a good thing, i think so too but not in such a small tank.

Any help is appreciated. :)

well adding the right sort of sponge would be a good idea i think depending on the type of sponge you use it would have to be the sort of open sponge that they commonly use in filters have a look for a fluval one sponge they shouldnt be too much. it wouldnt damage the filters motor imo because the power head must have been designed to work on a much larger tank if its wirlpooling. thus dealing with some extra sponge would be no problem.there are on many powerheads a sort of flow adjustment thing that will allow you to slow it down that way. have a look for one of those but the sponge i dont think it will damage the motor.

Thanks for your help Jamnog.

I ended up putting some extra filter wool in with the other filter media. That just slowed down the rate at which the water poured out the spray bar type thing. Therefore not putting any extra strain on the powerhead. The fish are much happier! :D

Most reactions

Back