Pothos and greenwater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank that seems to want to be bright green. I have no fish in it, but even after almost draining it, it has greened up beautifully. I've been using it to feed daphniia, but would rather feed the food from jars on the windowsill.
I also have one pothos leaf a friend gave me. It has roots, but while it survives in soil, it hasn't grown at all.
Last night I dug it out, rinsed the roots and set it up to live roots in water in that tank. This morning, I can see into the tank - if the green water had a score of 100 yesterday, it has fallen to about 70 today.
Stay tuned - it appears a battle might be on.

Is the green water an algae bloom? Or infusoria? Or both, even? Could be great fry food! :D
You can culture daphnia in window jars? I wanna!

I got a nice little pothos especially because I want to grow it from the tank, really like that plant after seeing in trailing across and down people's tanks. Haven't added it yet though since I'm waiting on a new (to me) tank to be delivered, but it seems happy enough in the soil for now.
If your single pothos leaf sucked all that up overnight, that's impressive!! You should take daily progress photos of the growth, looking for each new shoot!

The daphnia is in 20 gallon tubs on the cement floor, and the jars are for the green water I feed it with. As with so many things I try, it's an experiment. I have never had windows in a fishroom before, and while there are drawbacks, there are positive possibilities too.

Interesting, these are Daphnia pulex, eggs bought online. They seem to be doing okay. Wild caught Daphnia pulex have always died quickly indoors here. I assume the ones I bought had more southern origins, and don't mind life at 20c.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back