Potential tank mates for Neocardinas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Scooter_916

Reaction score
Been getting mixed recommendations between my two fish stores in town. I am in process of scaping a 10g tank shrimp tank.
So far I have decided on using a corner Matten filter that will be in the back corner, coming out approximately 5-6 inches long the back and side wall and forming the curve and possibly using two slightly smaller (3/4") uplift tubes instead of a single 1" dia tube.

It will be a natural scape, I have a few or so large Volcanic rocks that have lots of little pockets that I am planning on attaching some Java Ferns and assorted Anubis and other assorted plants. It will be pretty heavily planted but not super thick. hoping to get some feedback form you guys on what fish have been successful as tank mates and if any of my planned fish will be a bad idea

SO far I plan on getting a mixed variety of Neo's in different colors.
for the fish I'm looking at
-Clown Killisfish
-Kuhli Loachs
-Hilstream loaches
-Assorted Nirate snails
-Otocinclus catfish
-Metallic halfbeaks
-Neon Tetra

Thank you in advance
appreciate any and all feedback

-- Clown killifish and halfbeaks should be be OK.
-- Kuhli and hillstream loaches are omnivore so possible predation on baby shrimps.
-- Nirate snails ✅
-- Neon tetra ✅
-- Otocinclus catfish ✅ but needs a 6 months old tank.

-- Clown killifish and halfbeaks should be be OK.
-- Kuhli and hillstream loaches are omnivore so possible predation on baby shrimps.
-- Nirate snails ✅
-- Neon tetra ✅
-- Otocinclus catfish ✅ but needs a 6 months old tank.
is the Octo needing a 6mo old tank due to algae? I have no problem waiting on those guy's if need be but would algae wafers work if I did get them sooner?

as far as water parameters, I've researched and written down for all of the above and they all seem to work well within the same parameters, the only thing is the shrimp prefer it on the cooler side and the fish like warmer

as far as color morph on the shrimp I have thought about that, so I might just stick to blue or maybe blue and red

My other question is with a 10gallon, a relatively large matten filter, and pretty heavily planted tank what am I limited to as far as qty for the different fish??
I was thinking the following

for the Neo shrimp I was going to start with half dozen or so and know they can start multiplying

3-4x-Clown Killisfish
3-4x -Kuhli Loachs
2x-Hilstream loaches
half dozen or so -Assorted Nirate snails
2-3x -Otocinclus catfish
1 or 2-Metallic halfbeaks
8-10x -Neon Tetra

is the Octo needing a 6mo old tank due to algae? I have no problem waiting on those guy's if need be but would algae wafers work if I did get them sooner?
Yes, due to algae. The more you wait the better Otos will do.
They feed on algae, in particularly on leaves and roots of plants. I suppose wafers work. Keep in mind to vary their vegan food ;)

as far as color morph on the shrimp I have thought about that, so I might just stick to blue or maybe blue and red
When blue and red will breed it will end on a return to wild morph.

3-4x-Clown Killisfish
3-4x -Kuhli Loachs
2x-Hilstream loaches
half dozen or so -Assorted Nirate snails
2-3x -Otocinclus catfish
1 or 2-Metallic halfbeaks
8-10x -Neon Tetra
You cannot expect to house all these fishes in a nano 10 gallons ??

Did you read post #3 ?
Also hillstream loaches need a very stong current that either shrimps or other fishes won't bear.

You cannot expect to house all these fishes in a nano 10 gallons ??

Did you read post #3 ?
Also hillstream loaches need a very stong current that either shrimps or other fishes won't bear.
Just looking for advice on a good way to estimate a good number with out bring over crowded. Ive seen some tanks on Instagram that had a large number of fish and I know it was a larger 20 or 29 gallon tank and 've thought about just waiting a bit and going larger. Ideally a 40g if I can find a good deal on one.

I havent had any tanks up and running in almost 25years and I was young so I didnt really know the intricacies, I never cycled the tanks, I'd just dump in co lo orful gravel, water, throw in some conditioner and add fish. Never used live plants and did 75-80% water changes everyother month. So now that I'm older and getting back into it I want to do it the right way

Ive seen some tanks on Instagram that had a large number of fish and I know it was a larger 20 or 29 gallon tank and 've thought about just waiting a bit and going larger. Ideally a 40g if I can find a good deal on one.
Just remember that literally anyone can post images of (almost) anything on social media.
Many of the pretty tanks full of pretty fish only look like that for as long as it takes to take the photo. ;) None of them post the image of their overcrowded and inadequately cared for tanks when their fish are dying.
You'll also see images on the sides of nano tank and starter tank boxes, showing fish that are way too big for the tank in the box.

To answer your original question...
I have a South Asian-themed tank with fish and shrimp.
So with the Neocaridina, I have amano (Caridina) and Wood Shrimp.
I also have Chili Rasbora, Copper Harlequin, Cherry Barbs, Khuli Loach, a Panda Garra and a Dwarf Gourami.
None of these fish have shown any interest in the shrimp and I already have shrimplets...plus, the shrimp themselves seem adept at darting out of harms way, Tyrion, my gourami, shows interest in their food.

I would definitely remove hillstream loaches from the list. They need highly oxygenated, fast moving water. They also prefer it cooler than a lot of other common tropical fish.

Even removing them this list is incredibly overstocked for a 10G tank. You need to at least half it. The issue with that is most these fish need to be kept in bigger groups to be happy.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

The killifish and Otos also need a mature and stable tank. Stable in a 10G can be hard to achieve so if you want these fish you need to make sure your not overloading it.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Killifish but I would be tempted to consider just getting a group of 7 or 8 of them and have it as a single species tank. Double check with someone that knows more about them than me though that this is suitable and the tank is big enough.

A 10G tank doesn't give you a whole lot of options for having multiple fish species together. In my opinion small tanks work much better with just 1 or 2 species of fish in it.

I would definitely remove hillstream loaches from the list. They need highly oxygenated, fast moving water. They also prefer it cooler than a lot of other common tropical fish.

Even removing them this list is incredibly overstocked for a 10G tank. You need to at least half it. The issue with that is most these fish need to be kept in bigger groups to be happy.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

The killifish and Otos also need a mature and stable tank. Stable in a 10G can be hard to achieve so if you want these fish you need to make sure your not overloading it.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Killifish but I would be tempted to consider just getting a group of 7 or 8 of them and have it as a single species tank. Double check with someone that knows more about them than me though that this is suitable and the tank is big enough.

A 10G tank doesn't give you a whole lot of options for having multiple fish species together. In my opinion small tanks work much better with just 1 or 2 species of fish in it.
Thank you, exactly the info I was looking for

I'll research a little more and narrow down exactly what species I want.

And I'm still keeping my eye out for a larger tank. Would like at least a 20g long. Only have the 10g because I still had two of my old tanks

Thank you, exactly the info I was looking for

I'll research a little more and narrow down exactly what species I want.

And I'm still keeping my eye out for a larger tank. Would like at least a 20g long. Only have the 10g because I still had two of my old tanks
No worries.

You can do a lot of cool things with a 10g tank. It's just more difficult because you have to be a lot more careful with your choices and there isn't as much margin for error because of the smaller water volume.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back