Potential Stock List For New Aquarium

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
2,133
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just researching into what fish I'd like for my new 190L Aqua One.

Current fish are in bold:

Black Phantom Tetra - (currently 2 but will be upping to 5)
Columbian Red Fin Tetra - (currently 3 but will be upping to 5)
Opaline Gourami - 2
Bulldog Pleco - 1
Angelfish - 4
Peacock Goby - 5
Borelli's Dwarf Cichlid - 3
Zebra Loach - 3
Corydoras (possibly Peppered) - 5
Threadfin Rainbowfish - 5
Japonica Shrimp - 2

I'm stocking my virtual tank on ThinkFish.co.uk and it's saying I still have some room left.

What do you think to all these species together? It hasn't flagged up any incompatibilities.

BTW my water PH is 7.5.

:D
 
Threadfin rainbowfish can be sensitive to water conditions. If you want to keep those, they do best in a species or dwarf rainbow tank. Their mouths are barely large enough to eat crushed flake food. With how aggresively those tetras feed I would worry about the threadfins getting enough to eat. I might also worry about the angelfish killing the threadfins. Threadfins are beautiful fish, but they stay small.
 
Oh, Ok, thanks for that. I will choose something else then - don't want to get anything unsuitable.

Can you recommend any other suitable rainbow fish which would go well?

Also, with the Angelfish, could I get two each of two different colour types?
 
Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish are a lovely fish that are a bit bigger than the threadfins but look really nice when mature. They can be a bit plain in the shop but don't let this put you off them.

I would consider getting more than 2 Japonica (aka Amano) shrimp. If you only have 2 they will probably be quite shy and you wont see them often, get a group of 5 or 6 and they will be happier and more active. They don't really make any difference to the stocking levels as they don't have much waste.
 
Yeah I like the look of the Dwarf you mentioned, is it also called the Praecox Rainbowfish?

With the Shrimps, can I mix different types? Or would I need 6 of each type?
 
Yeah I like the look of the Dwarf you mentioned, is it also called the Praecox Rainbowfish?

With the Shrimps, can I mix different types? Or would I need 6 of each type?


Rainbows will interact between species so you can either mix them or get all the same kind. As far as the shrimps are concerned, the larger rainbows might eat them. For rainbow information check out Adrian's website: [URL="http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Melano.htm"]http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Melano.htm[/URL]
 
Yeah I like the look of the Dwarf you mentioned, is it also called the Praecox Rainbowfish?

With the Shrimps, can I mix different types? Or would I need 6 of each type?


Yep thats the fish i meant.

As for mixing shrimp so long as you don't get long armed shrimp you should be able to mix them but they will feel more secure in groups of their own species. There are some shrimp you shouldn't keep together as they will produce hybrid offspring (there is a guide here). To be honest unless you have a really good LFS i doubt you will have much choice when it comes to the shrimp :lol:
 
There's a couple of fish shops around my area. Think I would have a choice of 3 or 4 species, more if I bought online.

I think I'll definitely be going for the Dwarf Rainbow - if I can get hold of some! :D
 
Just researching into what fish I'd like for my new 190L Aqua One.

Current fish are in bold:

Black Phantom Tetra - (currently 2 but will be upping to 5)
Columbian Red Fin Tetra - (currently 3 but will be upping to 5)
Opaline Gourami - 2
Bulldog Pleco - 1
Angelfish - 4
Peacock Goby - 5
Borelli's Dwarf Cichlid - 3
Zebra Loach - 3
Corydoras (possibly Peppered) - 5
Threadfin Rainbowfish - 5
Japonica Shrimp - 2

I'm stocking my virtual tank on ThinkFish.co.uk and it's saying I still have some room left.

What do you think to all these species together? It hasn't flagged up any incompatibilities.

BTW my water PH is 7.5.

:D

Hi
Sorry but IMO that is going to be way overstocked?
If thinkfish is saying you can add more then I don't rate it too highly i'm afraid.

a 190L is 50USG and with most of the species above you could use the inch per gallon rule

Angelfish however require 10USG per fish so in theory thats 40G gone already,
 
I forgot to add that some of the fish you have (mainly the gourami and cichlids) would eat dwarf shrimp like cherrys but bigger shrimp like Amano and Bamboo shrimp should be fine.
 
I know - I was confused by ThinkFish for letting me keep adding them :unsure:

Well I'd definitely like Angels, Dwarf Rainbow Fish and Peacock Gobies. Maybe I could just get two Angels and see how they get on? If they don't, I suppose I could rehome them?

Also want to get some Corys.

How about:

Columbians - 5
Black Phantoms - 5
Opaline Gourami - 2
Bulldog Pleco - 1
Angelfish - 2
Dwarf Rainbows - 5
Peacock Goby - 5
Corydoras - 5

?


I'd get the bigger shrimp anyway :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top