Post cycle stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No, that guide is sometimes helpful, but here of no benefit. But I just looked into this again as something caught my attention.

The dimensions entered into the calculator here (TFF) comes up with 285 liters or 75 US gallons. The latter number surprised me, as this is a 5-foot (150 cm) length tank. We use metric in Canada and have since the late 1970's, but I went to school/high school before then, and have never forgotten imperial measure which I still understand better. I've no idea how warm 19C is, but I know immediately what the equivalent 66F will feel like!

So, my apology, but I want to revise my suggestion here. Start with 100 of each. See how you like them; in the back of my mind I still think you will be thinking of additional species before long, and you can always add them or increase these two. I am assuming plants, and good floating plants--or you will not see much of either species.
My husband decided to come to our lfs with me on my last visit. Despite constantly stating 'the entire tank is up to you' he has now taken more of an interest. So here I am to ask about adding the fish he fell in love with into the mix.
Think it will make a more interesting tank.
The first one is the Normans lampeye.
The second is the khuli loach - the 'banded' ones.
Decided to not go with shrimp as worried about moulting issues in my water.

If one or both species are suitable how would I adjust my initial stocking post cycle ?
Thank you all yet again for the advice that always comes without judgement.

My husband decided to come to our lfs with me on my last visit. Despite constantly stating 'the entire tank is up to you' he has now taken more of an interest. So here I am to ask about adding the fish he fell in love with into the mix.
Think it will make a more interesting tank.
The first one is the Normans lampeye.
The second is the khuli loach - the 'banded' ones.
Decided to not go with shrimp as worried about moulting issues in my water.

If one or both species are suitable how would I adjust my initial stocking post cycle ?
Thank you all yet again for the advice that always comes without judgement.

The kuhli loach is OK with the water parameters, but it does need a group (five or more), and if the pygmy cories are still in the plan, I would not combine the two species. The kuhli's can be very secretive, they must have sufficient places they cn escape to and hide, and they often remain buried in the sand during daylight. It is a trait of the species to be very secretive.

Poropanchax normani is certainly suited, it needs a group too, but will fit in nicely.

The kuhli loach is OK with the water parameters, but it does need a group (five or more), and if the pygmy cories are still in the plan, I would not combine the two species. The kuhli's can be very secretive, they must have sufficient places they cn escape to and hide, and they often remain buried in the sand during daylight. It is a trait of the species to be very secretive.

Poropanchax normani is certainly suited, it needs a group too, but will fit in nicely.
Thanks for the quick response.
Will forget the Kuhli loaches then as I love the Corys.

No, that guide is sometimes helpful, but here of no benefit. But I just looked into this again as something caught my attention.

The dimensions entered into the calculator here (TFF) comes up with 285 liters or 75 US gallons. The latter number surprised me, as this is a 5-foot (150 cm) length tank. We use metric in Canada and have since the late 1970's, but I went to school/high school before then, and have never forgotten imperial measure which I still understand better. I've no idea how warm 19C is, but I know immediately what the equivalent 66F will feel like!

So, my apology, but I want to revise my suggestion here. Start with 100 of each. See how you like them; in the back of my mind I still think you will be thinking of additional species before long, and you can always add them or increase these two. I am assuming plants, and good floating plants--or you will not see much of either species.
Just double checked on the tank measurements ready for fitting it in the living room.
The tank is actually 60cm tall.
How much of a difference will this make to the volume ?

Ta

Assuming the other two measurements are the same (150 x 38 cm) a height of 60 cm gives a volume of 342 litres.

Is the 60 cm the height of the glass or the height of the tank including the lid?

Assuming the other two measurements are the same (150 x 38 cm) a height of 60 cm gives a volume of 342 litres.

Is the 60 cm the height of the glass or the height of the tank including the lid?
Height of the glass.

In that case, 342 litres. Don't forget that's the space occupied by the tank. The water can't go right to the top, it has to be a few cm lower which reduces the usable volume. In the first post you gave a volume of 300 litres, and the dimensions 250 150 x 38 x 54 high gives 300 litres which sounds like wherever you got the 300 litres from took the air space over the water into account.

Edited to correct error

In that case, 342 litres. Don't forget that's the space occupied by the tank. The water can't go right to the top, it has to be a few cm lower which reduces the usable volume. In the first post you gave a volume of 300 litres, and the dimensions 250 x 38 x 54 high gives 300 litres which sounds like wherever you got the 300 litres from took the air space over the water into account.
Okay thanks.
Makes sense now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back