Possible Stress Deaths?

greenpoodles

Reaction score
Okay well I've had my 50 gallon tank for almost a year now so it's pretty well established. I've got a mixture of fish in there, couple of gouramis, tetras, plecs etc. And up til this morning I did have a silver shark.

I haven't had a fatality for a good few months and have even had fish reproducing so I assumed they were happy and water quality was fine etc. Last night my sister brought her dog round, a rather rambunctious 10 month old labrador. Basically he probably scared the fish quite a few times during the night, every time he went over to the tank I pulled him away to minimise the shock. Later in the night I noticed one of my little bottom feeders (I can't remember what they're called!)was thrashing around, upside down on the floor etc. I have two of these and his friend is fine :(

Was quite sure I'd find it dead this morning and it was, but my silver shark was also floating on the top! And he was swimming around fine yesterday. Other fish are fine and acting normally. Is it possible that the fish could have died from the stress of the dog in the room and looking through the glass?? I did a water change last week but it's been a few days since I did it so I doubt it could be water quality? I don't want to lose any more! I put some Stress Zyme in this morning in case.

have you tested your water stats? do you have any readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Most reactions

Back