possible algae help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know if all this brown stuff on my gravel/plants is algae? It coats the glass aswell which is easy removed, but the gravel not so much using a gravel suction cleaner and its making my aquarium look a bit of a mess, everytime I googled what it looks like the search pointed me to this product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00564XTO4/?tag=

after it arrived I thought id read some of the comments before using it as it was a bit of a panic buy, and some of the other customers said it killed their fish, but the seller assured me if fish died it was merely coincidental or they misused the product.
has anyone used this product before and if I do have algae problems is it the kind of algae that this stuff kills?

The aquarium is farely new, around 3-4 weeks old its a 90 litre, I do a 50% water change every saturday unless I see any nitrate/ammonia problems then id do one sooner then 7 days inbetween thanks :)

65729025_750629468679796_1873285634378956800_n.jpg 66184149_2456013914629023_7666361519206039552_n.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Brown algae (diatoms) is fairly common in new tanks and as you have discovered is easy to remove. It will disappear by itself within a few weeks anyway.

It is important to establish the correct balance in your tank for the long term of light and nutrients. Adding products to your tank at this stage will only serve to hide the fact if you do have any imbalance.

I could not find what the active ingredient is of the product you mentioned but their website says:
Algae, such as beard algae, brush algae and filamentous algae, are effectively wiped out. AlgExit is easy and economical to use and harmless to fish, shrimps, molluscs and plants. The algae growth is first brought to a standstill and then it disappears. Any algae spores that are still present in the water are removed and the result is clear and clean tank.
I am sorry but anything that can do all that is not going in my fish. (Remember if its in the water its in the fish).

yeah, i think ill return the product as im the same, i try to use as little chemicals as possible tbh, ill keep cleaning the glass and let the tank settle over time and see if it disappears on its own :)

I had a diatom bloom in my smaller tank when it was around 7 or 8 weeks old. I did a bit of research and found my water could of had too much phosphate in. So after a clean up and a large water change i purchased some phosphate pads you cut to size and place in your filter. Tanks been crystal clear since :)

Maybe a option for you if it persists after a few weeks.

Hope it clears for you. Good luck

Seangee is bang on in post #2. Never, never use any form of algicide; it is does kill algae, it without question will harm fish, I don't care what the manufacturer may claim in order to sell the product. And plants may be affected too if any are present. The only way to deal with nature (natural things like algae) is with nature, not chemical additives. :fish:

Seangee is bang on in post #2. Never, never use any form of algicide; it is does kill algae, it without question will harm fish, I don't care what the manufacturer may claim in order to sell the product. And plants may be affected too if any are present. The only way to deal with nature (natural things like algae) is with nature, not chemical additives. :fish:
The only way to deal with nature is with nature. I love that. That says so much with so few words. I'm adding that to my arsenal.

I had a diatom bloom in my smaller tank when it was around 7 or 8 weeks old. I did a bit of research and found my water could of had too much phosphate in. So after a clean up and a large water change i purchased some phosphate pads you cut to size and place in your filter. Tanks been crystal clear since :)

Maybe a option for you if it persists after a few weeks.

Hope it clears for you. Good luck

thanks ill keep that in mind!

Thanks, yeah i wont be using it so glad i asked here first

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back