Popeye or injury?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My betta has an enlarged left eye with some white around it. Tank mates are an Otto and some snails. 10 gallon Tank has been cycled for three months, live planted. Nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrate less than 5. Water changes every other week. Never had any problems with this guy, could he have injured himself? What do I need to use to treat? Will Furan 2 work? That’s what I have on hand.

Attachments

• 0E44A894-2DDC-4D3A-A6DF-E237058CFEEB.png
    0E44A894-2DDC-4D3A-A6DF-E237058CFEEB.png
    507.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 7CCDE674-E929-4ECF-82D1-8528BC27EB3D.png
    7CCDE674-E929-4ECF-82D1-8528BC27EB3D.png
    472.2 KB · Views: 51
I'm not sure about the eye I'm afraid, @Colin_T would know, hopefully he'll be on and can help.

I am concerned that you have a single oto though, they're a schooling fish, and all wild caught, so having one alone isn't great for him. Any chance of you getting some friends for him? They really do better in groups, he would have been in a school of thousands in the wild before being caught and sent to the store.

I'm not sure about the eye I'm afraid, @Colin_T would know, hopefully he'll be on and can help.

I am concerned that you have a single oto though, they're a schooling fish, and all wild caught, so having one alone isn't great for him. Any chance of you getting some friends for him? They really do better in groups, he would have been in a school of thousands in the wild before being caught and sent to the store.
I thought so but then someone told me otherwise but yes I can definitely get more. How many do you think?

It looks like Popeye to me. To treat: In Quarantine tank use Kanaplex and Furan-2 per package directions. Do this for 10 days. Also do epsom salt baths by adding 1 tsp of pure epsom salt to 1 gallon of dechlorinated water same temp as tank water. Put fish in for 2 minutes. You can do this 3 times a day. Epsom salt will help pull swelling off the eye. Be sure to keep your tank water clean.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back