Popeye Is Better, White Substance Still Remains....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Miboy

Reaction score
I rescued a betta from a home where the water was dirty and he was getting popeye.  With medication and clean water, the "popping out" swelling is vastly improved, but there is a white substance still sort of sticking out from around the affected eye.  His tank is a 6 gal filtered (with the carbon filter removed for treatment), but with a little water circulation via a small pump.  Water tests well, and he really just hangs out in the live plants.

It has only been 4 days of treatment now, and he is still not eating or moving around much.  Is this white stuff just part of the infection that still needs to clear up?

Do you have pics?  That would help in determining exactly what might be going on.  Without pics, I would guess it is still part of the infection that is lingering.  Keep the water very clean and warm (82F is best) to help promote healing.  What are you treating him with for the popeye at the moment?  Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat right now since bettas will often go off of food when moved to a new place or when medicated.

Update....Thanks for the info.  The betta did an amazing thing.  As that substance was starting to get loose and appear to be about to fall off, he swam over to the area where the pump puts out a light current, and placed the affected eye directly in the current until it dislodged the the substance and it fell off.  Then he swam back to the safety of his plant cover.  Since then; dramatic improvement.  Starting eating and swimming around.  This morning, I even saw the beginnings of a bubble nest.  Still not sure if he can see from the affected eye, but things look very good for him at the moment.

btw...  I treated him with fresh water, fresh water, fresh water, Maracyn, and Maracyn Two.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back