Pop eye Betta - Medication?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

charlotte1211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I have identified that my betta has pop eye. I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of good medication to treat this?

Depending on what caused the pop eye, it can usually be treated with daily water changes and salt. If it doesn't improve after a few days then look for a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacteria and protozoans.

Wipe the inside of the glass.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep the salt in there for 1-2 weeks. If there's no improvement after a week of water changes and salt, then stop using the salt and get the medication.

thank you for the information. Iv currently been doing 50% daily water changes for the past two weeks. Iv been adding salt for the past week with no signs of improvement his eye has now gone cloudy.

When I got him around a year ago he had a bad eye but it cleared up on its own with twice weekly water changes. Iv been checking the water parameters all seems fine there are no sharp objects within his tank. The tank is heavily planted with plants. He has bitten his tail slightly I’m guessing this is from stress with his eye. Iv been having alook at different types of medication but I am unsure which one is the best for him.

look for something that treats bacteria, but preferably not an anti-biotic.

if you post a list of the medications and their ingredients here, we can see which is best.

As the OP is in the UK I can give a list of meds for you.

eSHa 2000 - ethylacridine lactate, copper sulphate, proflavine hemisulphate.

Waterlife Myxazin - malachite green, formaldehyde, acriflavine

NT Labs Anti-Internal Bacteria - chloramine T (Maidenhead Aquatics AquaCare Anti-Internal Bacteria also contains chloramine T)

King British Bacteria Control - formaldehyde, sodium chloride, magnesium sulphate, allantoin

There are other meds for internal bacteria but I can't find the ingredients.

Edited to add the MA med

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back