Pop Eye, And Possible Fin Rot And Cotton Mouth!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BerryAttack

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought a 65 gallon tank from someone who had it running for i believe 4 years, but I believe for the last 3 weeks before I bought it he stopped taking care of it. It is a mature planted aquarium.
It has the proper lighting, CO2 system etc, everything you would ever want for a planted aquarium.
The tank came with two already filtered Rena filters, which I only have one plugged in because I do not know which size it is and did not want to stress the fish out even more from the move.
And came with a boat load of amazing plants, with lots of snails, which I don't mine. I find them fun to look at when they are on the glass haha.

(guessing at the body size (not including fins))
It came with
3 4-6 inch marbled blue female angels.
3 Congo Tetra, they are not showy kind, either fully grown or almost there, the ones in the picture -->  http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/fish/486_Congo_Tetra_Phenacogrammus_interruptus.e.jpg
7-9 diamond tetra which I have been told have breed in the tank. Most are fully grown, and the rest must have been bred in the tank.
2 rubber lip pleco
2 albino bristle nose pleco which are a breeding pair.

My adventure with this tank was not good, I was able to move the tank etc etc set it all up, and the next day before topping it up ( i dripped the fish in which were in a bucket for at least 3 hours to make sure that with the 50% water that I saved they would be use to the new water that I had to add which was treated and bought from the store ha.

When the fish were in there I noticed that the Congo tetra's fins seemed to be not in the best of shape and maybe the start of fin rot and the diamond tetra's had big and damaged upper lip like they have been fighting one another. The angel's were fine and same goes for the pleco's.

After an hour I noticed that my tank had growing crack marks on the back of it, and in the end I had to take it down, Rush to the store to buy a new tank and do the whole thing over again. Putting the fish into buckets, removing substrate, plants etc. Good think I did because when later looking at the tank there were spider cracks from the back seal to the middle of the tank, if I did not go back to look at it that night the tank would have broke :(

After setting up the tank, the water was murky so I started to filter the water through coffee filters and paper towels to remove the murk before running the filter to save as much water as I could. That night I put the fish in after dripping them for the second time to bring them to the temperature of the tank.

I noticed that one of the angel's pelvic fin (only one) was split slightly. not up to the top or anything by to roughly the middle. Then when looking at the Congo's the one seemed to have cottony growth on the lip and all fins did not seem to be in the best of shape. The diamond tetra's fins are beautiful, but the upper lips were reddened. All the Pleco's looked fine, just a bit stressed. I treated the tank with pettaflex, I believe that is what the med is called, it is similar to metaflex brand and is for reddening on the fins, cotton mouth and for external and internal bacteria.
I cleaned the one Rena filter (with tank water) to remove all the poop etc that was in it.. gross and then turned it back on. There was no carbon in the filter, and haven't checked the other, still has water in it, but not running so all the good bacteria is alive.

In the morning I checked the fish as I always do with my other tanks and found that the cottony growth on the Congo's were gone, fins still not in the best of shape. The redness on the diamond tetra's upper mouth was almost completely gone. The one angel's split pelvic fin broke off (only half way, were it was split), the two albino bristle nose plecos and one rubber mouth pleco didn't look fazed with the transition. Only now the one rubber mouth pleco has pop eye. I read that it could be that it was hit, it is red and inflamed. All fish are eating and swimming around.
The water is now clearing up, and I am able to everything in the tank, but there is a slight haze.

I will be able to get the water tested tomorrow, so I will have that information tomorrow, but for right now it is unknown.
The temperature of the water is 26 degrees Celsius. 

What do you think I can do. I want to treat all the fish in there together, and do not want to move them again because it might risk even more stress and I don't want to put that on the fish again because they were move twice because the first tank was about to break, and now the new one is great.
Oh and before the first tank I had to take it down I already set up what I wanted the tank to look like, and I did it the same way the second time, which I think help the fish adjust faster because for the short time they were in the tank they were able to check everything out.

Now the angel fish are in the area where I put the large sword are starting the clean the leaves, and two have the start of their vent starting to come out. they are chasing any tetra which venturing in to where the sword is, but will leave them alone once they are out. the angel's still swim around the tank and seem to be use to the tank set up, same goes with all the other fish.

So how do I treat a pleco who has pop eye, the congo tetra who might have fin rot and cotton mouth and diamond tetra who's upper lip seem to be like they were fighting with their mouths, but now not reddened. 

Thanks so much, and sorry for the long read, but might as well have all the information down to what happened :p

hmm guess to much info, no one wants to read :p
any who i got my water tested and my nitrate or nitrite (forget which one) was on the high side.. needed to do a water change. 
and the cotton mouth is gone, and fin rot under control.
also the pop eye on the pleco seemed to be that he got it banded which triggered it and is now half the size.... yay

:D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back