The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have a small, around 20g pond that used to have gambusia affinis in it, but they died because of the cold. I am thinking of adding similar types of gambusia and poecilia next year, but how should i make the pond so that it does not freeze?
the pond is full of native plants, algae, and floating water hyacinth

Why not add a heater?
I have a small, around 20g pond that used to have gambusia affinis in it, but they died because of the cold. I am thinking of adding similar types of gambusia and poecilia next year, but how should i make the pond so that it does not freeze?
the pond is full of native plants, algae, and floating water hyacin

how cold does it get where you are, and can you bury the pond or put it in the garage? I can keep gambusia in a childs wading pool over the winter, they get in that bottom layer and don't freeze but when we have a record breaking freeze I don't think Feb 2021 got below negative 5 Fahrenheit. Some parts of the world get a lot colder. However water hyacinth would not overwinter at 5 below either....

It’s not the cold or the ice killing your fish. It’s the lack of oxygen. Run a small submersible pump that shoots a stream of water upwards . That will agitate the surface and keep an unfrozen spot open. If it does freeze in really cold weather chip it open.

Why not add a heater?
it is quite far away from all of the outlets, but i may consider battery powered/chargeable heaters. do you think it is a good idea?
how cold does it get where you are, and can you bury the pond or put it in the garage? I can keep gambusia in a childs wading pool over the winter, they get in that bottom layer and don't freeze but when we have a record breaking freeze I don't think Feb 2021 got below negative 5 Fahrenheit. Some parts of the world get a lot colder. However water hyacinth would not overwinter at 5 below either....
it gets a little bit below zero for a few non connected days
yeah, I hope it grows back...

Is a cover for the pond a viable option?

It’s not the cold or the ice killing your fish. It’s the lack of oxygen. Run a small submersible pump that shoots a stream of water upwards . That will agitate the surface and keep an unfrozen spot open. If it does freeze in really cold weather chip it open.
I have a small water pump like a little fountain, so they get plenty of oxygen..
the water never freezes, it just gets really cold to the point where the fish feel shocked

I have a small water pump like a little fountain, so they get plenty of oxygen..
the water never freezes, it just gets really cold to the point where the fish feel shocked
Goldfish. You can’t kill them. Just have goldfish outside. They’re actually pretty fun to have. They’ll even spawn and they live for years.

Goldfish. You can’t kill them. Just have goldfish outside. They’re actually pretty fun to have. They’ll even spawn and they live for years.
I feel like 20 gallons is too small for them...
but it's definitely an option!

go with feeder goldfish, find a home when they get too big. They mainly suffer from heat here. You have to keep a pump on in summer or they will die, period. My small pond might hold 100 gallons and it is gambusia only. And the occasional frog or turtle that drops in

go with feeder goldfish, find a home when they get too big. They mainly suffer from heat here. You have to keep a pump on in summer or they will die, period. My small pond might hold 100 gallons and it is gambusia only. And the occasional frog or turtle that drops in
are those feeder fathead minnows also good candidates? I've always wanted to keep some

Around here, people with small ponds move their fish indoors to a tub or fish tank in the winter. When I had a huge irrigation pond, I ran electricity to it and put a breather in it to get O2 through the ice.

I don't remember what part of the US you're in, but you might look into the local species. Most areas will have some kind of sunfish, killifish, suckers, darters, or smallish minnows that might be tough enough. Check with your local game and fish department for the legalities. In most states you can legally keep non-game fish with a minnow trapping permit. A lot of people forego all that and just don't worry about it (I used to do that), but now that I'm a boring grownup I like to keep everything all proper.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back