Pond Breeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettatamer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I saw these listings on Aqua bid and they said their betta were "pond raised and bred" So that got me thinking, How do you do this? What materials do you need?

You can do this only when the temperature outside is stable and suitable for bettas.  That means high 70s-80s day time and 70's night time.  You spawn your bettas indoors just as you would if you were going to raise them in a tank.  Then after 10 days transfer the fry to the pond or pool. The trick of it is that the water and air temps must stay the same or very close at all times.  If not, the bettas will get swim bladder disease and start dying off at 6-8 weeks. 

Here  is how I did it:  Get a kiddie pool that is at least 10" deep and cycle it like a tank.  Use 1-2 large sponge filters and if you can't seed them indoors-aloww to run in an established tank for at least 6 weeks-start them as soon as you add water.  After you do a 50% water change about 10 days after filling, use some of the waste water from water changes to your tank.  Fish poop is a good source of bacteria. Keep in mind, you can start the cycling process even if the weather is still too cold to move the fish out.  The longer cycle the better. After 6-8 weeks, spawn the bettas and you're ready to roll.  I'd suggest spawning 3-4 pairs all at the same time in small tanks and adding all fry at one time.  Send me a note if you have any questions, I'm going to do this again this summer.  

I highly do not recommend this unless you are knowledgeable about breeding bettas and live somewhere that keeps a steady warm temperature of close to 80F.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back