Pond basics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ryan

Spinning around
Reaction score
Add any information you have picked up or learnt about ponds along the way. After a week or so I'll pin this and edit where needed, we can then leave it open for relating question or further information.

If we split it into sections it should be more helpful and ordered, so lets start with the actually building of the pond first.....

There are several factors to consider before you get to work on designing and building your pond, postioning, size, expense and the intended stocking of the pond should all be decided on before hand.

Positioning -

Where a pond is sited will have a large impact on its maintenace and success. If for example the pond recieves alot of direct sunlight it will be prone to algae blooms and unstable water chemistry. If it is under a tree falling leaves/debris will alter water chemistry, especailly evergreen trees like conifers which can acidify the water. So find a suitable place in your garden or house, which recieves a good amount of light but will be shaded at times away from over hanging trees if possible.

Size -

Obviously size will have an affect on the fish you can keep in your pond. A general guideline is 1000 gallons plus for Koi, Orfe, Tench etc and 100-150 gallons plus for Goldfish, Rudd and other smaller species staying under a foot in length. Anything smaller is probably best devoted to wildlife.

Expense -

Ponds can vary vastly in costs for building and maintenance. High tech Koi ponds can run into the tens of thousands, where as a simple wildlife pond could probably be set up for under £20. This is where you need to consider how serious you are about your pond, will it be a feature in your garden simply for wildlife (low maintenance) or will it be an attractive pond with ornamental fish which will require more time and care.

After all this of these aspects have been considered you can continue, at this point its a good idea to check if theres any underlaying foundations or pipework where you intend to have a pond if want to be relatively large (speaking from experience!).

Hope you lot see where I'm going with this, I thought if we did a step by step guide considering all aspects at each point it would make it easier and more effective? Feel free to add any more information and continue with the next steps, digging, lining etc. :)

Thanks

(I do have further information to add later from Bribones, haven't lost it mate!)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back