Polyfilter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
From my understanding polyfilter is supposed to be able to remove pretty much everything from the water that is harmful from ammonia to nitrates and phosphates.

I know a lot of people use it but can it really do everything that it claims to do? Seems a bit too good to be true :)

Seems quite expensive too. I'd be interested to know...

Yeahs thats the other thing :) If it works then its a worthwhile investiment. If something happened to go wrong and there was an ammonia spike its nice to know that ther eis something in the system that would help reduce a potential tank killer into something less.

On the other hand if it is glorified filter wool then there is no point :)

Oh no, it totally works, even romves copper. One of the guys in my local club had a little whoopsie when he cross-wired something in his tank, melted some copper, which dropped molten into the tank and contaminated the water. Luckily he had some polyfilter on-hand and was able to save it. Looked real touch-and-go there for a while but that polyfilter gobbled it right up.

The problem, as you've discovered, is cost. It's very expensive and used up very quickly, thus making it more of a treatment for a mistake as opposed to a preventative. I do keep some just a phone call away.

i thought this stuff was great when i used it!!!! downside as mentioned is of course the cost!!

I dont use this product on my reef but use barrel loads of it on my 412g FW. It changes colour to indicate what its removed from the water mine is just brown as it just removes crap. But my water is crystal you could never get it that clear using carbon. The stuff is brilliant I use 4 sheets every 4 weeks and keep it in 4 baskets 2 on each side in my eheim 2252 internals. I pay £6.20 a sheet for it which is the cheapest I have managed to get it for.

I love it..but...use it in emergency situations..meaning...falling water parameters. It is similar to filters used in kidney dialysis and binds phosphates. I keep it on hand and use it to while improving water quality with water changes, which, of course, is the best 'filter' of all. SH

Excellent for ICE. Saved a friend's tank, when his heater blew up in it and spewed it full of copper... Usually a death knell for a tank full of inverts/corals, but some generous helpings of polypads and he only lost a few of his most sensitive of corals.

I keep some for ICE myself ;)

Most reactions

trending

Back