HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
1603930983843.png
1. Betta imbellis ^
Probably the easiest of the 3 to keep.
1603931114516.png

2. Parosphromenus deissneri ^
Fun fish, would likely breed and rear babies. Similar to sparkling gourami.
1603931163062.png
3. Sphaerichthys vaillanti ^
The hardest of the three to keep. I would have to get 4 or 5 as the species is somewhat gregarious. My favorite of the bunch.

Tankmates
10 - Boraras brigittae (chili rasbora)

I'm biased but I think the samurai group.

If I ever did RO, theyre what I want, theyre really really cool.

I'm biased but I think the samurai group.

If I ever did RO, theyre what I want, theyre really really cool.
Such a cool fish :).
I'll admit I'm in love with these guys haha. Saw them when I was going to keep platies with angelfish in a 29
( :rofl:)
and knew I would have to keep them someday

I love Chocolate Gouramis. Is that one a different colour. I never had one those colours.

I love Chocolate Gouramis. Is that one a different colour. I never had one those colours.
Yea, it's basically a chocolate gourami from a different neck of the woods (stream?).
You've got banded chocolate gourami and this one, which is commonly known as samurai gourami.

1. a 10 gallon for a small group of samurai gouramis plus rasbora is pushing it, imo. they should at least need at 20 gallons minimum for a group plus the rasbora.

2. if you're wanting to breed licorice gourami, then you're going to have keep them in a species only tank if you want to be successful in breeding. not only that, but they're endangered due to habitat destruction so it's important for hobbyists to at least attempt to breed them

3 betta imbellis is the best choice imo. they're not endangered nor require a large aquarium. however, if you're going to keep them with rasboras, it's best to get one. if you get a pair, they may breed, and the male will defend the nest by chasing away any fish that may get too close to the nest.

Last edited:
1. a 10 gallon for a small group of samurai gouramis plus rasbora is pushing it, imo. they should at least need at 20 gallons minimum for a group plus the rasbora.

2. if you're wanting to breed licorice gourami, then you're going to have keep them in a species only tank if you want to be successful in breeding. not only that, but they're endangered due to habitat destruction so it's important for hobbyists to at least attempt to breed them

3 betta imbellis is the best choice imo. they're not endangered or require a large aquarium. however, if you're going to keep them with rasboras, it's best to get one. if you get a pair, they may breed, and the male will defend the nest by chasing away any fish that may get too close to the nest.
1. Oh. I heard you needed a 20 g for a group of 6. I'd drop the rasboras for these easily.
2. I read on seriously fish that the rasbora were good tank mates for these guys, but I'd happily do a species only.
3. Yep I was just going to get a solo betta.

3 betta imbellis is the best choice imo. they're not endangered or require a large aquarium. however, if you're going to keep them with rasboras, it's best to get one. if you get a pair, they may breed, and the male will defend the nest by chasing away any fish that may get too close to the nest.
So for the samurai gourami, you'd say that a group of 4 or 5 is suitable without the rasboras right?

1. i still wouldn't do a small group of samurai gouramis in a 10, a 20 gallon is better

2. while boraras make a good companionship for parosphromenus, they should be kept as a pair if you want to successfully breed them and have fry

1. i still wouldn't do a small group of samurai gouramis in a 10, a 20 gallon is better

2. while boraras make a good companionship for parosphromenus, they should be kept as a pair if you want to successfully breed them and have fry
Oh. Ok :). Thanks crispii!

Wait one last thing. If I were to get a pair of deissneri what should I do with any fry they produce?
I could give them to my LFS or raise them for a bit and send them somewhere.
I'm more of a gourami guy myself, so I'll probably get a pair of them.

Wait one last thing. If I were to get a pair of deissneri what should I do with any fry they produce?
I could give them to my LFS or raise them for a bit and send them somewhere.
I'm more of a gourami guy myself, so I'll probably get a pair of them.
sell them online/local clubs or give them to your lfs

Alright. I'll have a looksie to see if I can get a pair when this tank is set up. Thanks :).

Where have you been? We've missed you :).

Oh. The only place that sells them does intervals of three.
1, 3, 6, 9 etc.
Which do you recommend?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back