Pointed-tailed Guppy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fire_an_Ice

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about?? We have7 or 8 healthy-sized guppy fry (I'm assuming the rest of the batch were on the menu for the barbs/ older gups) about 4 of them don't seem to have a lot in the way of tail fins, but their tails taper to a point??!! What's THAT all about? Anyone else seen this?? Do I have alien-bred guppies? :crazy:

Cheers and Beers

F&I B)

Sorry I cannot help but I was just about to ask the same question! So I figured matters well keep it to one thread? My swordtail fry had been doing uncredibly, with only three deaths in three weeks, and all of a sudden they have been dyng off, and I only have 9 left. I noticed that each of the dead ones had a pointed tail like you said, instead of a fanned out tail like the other fry. I really hope its a deformity and not a disease, poor little fry :-(

Sorry to not have any help though.

I lost about 10-15 guppy fry and 1 krib fry in about 2 days. Their tails were fine then one day they went pointy and they started dying, i did a water change and managed to save 5 of them. I think I looked on Google for "pin tail guppy" or something like that. It was some sort of bacterial infection if i remember rightly.

Do the parents have any fancy tail shape or anything? Is it possible it was somewhere back in their line, or do you not know (I.e. petstore Guppies)? When you say pointed, are they clamped or is the tail shaped like that? What are your water stats like?

Water stats are fine...tested, changed and tested again last night. Don't know the parentage, all have come from a LFS. As far as I can see, (they're pretty small, and wont hang still long enough for a close exam) the tails are actually shaped to a point, rather then clamped (but I could well be wrong here)...

Urgh! :S

F&I B)

Argh! Just gooled on 'Pin Tailed Guppy' and got this site...

http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Problems.html

With these symptoms!

Tail Split, often in middle as if cut

"Split tail" - should heal naturally, various causes: check for sharp ornaments, fighting. Could be caused by large water changes, weak genetics.Watch for fungus

Ragged, deteriorating with whiteish or red edge

Bacterial tail rot. Q Ailments

Clamped or closed (pin-tail)
Check water quality (i.e.ammonia). If no problem, likely body Flukes Parasites

Gonna check wter AGAIN and then head off to get a remedy I think....Will be late for work, but FISH are far more important, lets face it...:sly:

AAAARRRRGGGH.

F+I

The first surviving batch, yes...so no inbreeding (if thats what you were thinking??)

Cheers
No, that wasn't the reason :) I wanted to know if you had any previous off-spring to compare to - because chances are that they may have bred with a type of guppy with that tail type. Not quite the same, but there are my spear tail guppies.

I would however test water to rule out other factors and try to catch at least one fry to put in a glass and take a decent picture off - I know how hard it is to photograph fry ! :X

*Sigh* All water tests are fine. I'm increasingly suspecting an infection. One of the poor little guys has swimbladder problems. Mega water change carried out on the main tank, guppies removed to a hospital tank with brand new cycled water. Any other suggestions??

If they're alone, add in some salt until you are sure what they have. Also, keep up on the water changes. Good luck! :)

Male guppy fry will have pointed tales until they mature some. Females will have a rounded tail.

Must be honest I've never witnessed that - even with my spear tail guppies :blink:

I didn't realize it until the last few times. My 11 year old daughter noticed the "pointy tails." Since then, I have seen it every time I have had fry with my fancy tails.

I've never seen that in 7 years of breeding Guppies, even lyretails and spear/pin tailed. :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back