Plecostomus won't clean 1 side of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kidtank

Reaction score
I have a 29 gall freshwater tank that has 6 black skirted tetras, 6 panda cory cats, and a rubber lip plecostomus. I purchased my pleco 1.5 years ago and "he" has been doing great. I feed him a wafer once a week. I got a new tank about 5 months ago and he will not clean the back glass wall. It is building up with green alge. The other 3 walls are in great shape. With the new larger tank I did have to upgrade my filter and I am worried it is possibly causing too much turbulence for him. I cant turn it down any further. He is always stuck to the back wall hiding during the day though. What do you think?

I have a 29 gall freshwater tank that has 6 black skirted tetras, 6 panda cory cats, and a rubber lip plecostomus. I purchased my pleco 1.5 years ago and "he" has been doing great. I feed him a wafer once a week. I got a new tank about 5 months ago and he will not clean the back glass wall. It is building up with green alge. The other 3 walls are in great shape. With the new larger tank I did have to upgrade my filter and I am worried it is possibly causing too much turbulence for him. I cant turn it down any further. He is always stuck to the back wall hiding during the day though. What do you think?
It is where the forbidden algae grows... No one puts pleco in the back 😅... But for real, I have no idea... It could just be his quirk

Forbidden algae, I like it :)

Pictures of the tank and fish?

What sort of filter is in/ on the tank?

Do you have driftwood in the tank?

Do you feed it anything besides an algae wafer once a week?

Not sure what that is all about but I think they like to watch us suffer, cause the back glass is a pain in the butt to reach. I have 3 tall tanks, I am tall and have long arms but there are usually a few curses slipping while scrubbing the back glass. Not going to lie, that is probably when my kids learned those words, watching mom try to not fall in the tank while scrubbing back glass.🤣

In my experiences rubberlips aren't great algae-eaters. They live in water with quite a current and are more carnivoriois than thought and info tells you.

Are you sure it is the Rubberlip who cleans the other 3 windows or could it be the algaegrowth is less there?

One thing to ponder upon - Algae on the back wall is a good thing. I never clean the back of my tanks, only the front. The sides are mostly cleaned by the fish/snails, with a bit of help from me if needed (not usually).

One thing to ponder upon - Algae on the back wall is a good thing. I never clean the back of my tanks, only the front. The sides are mostly cleaned by the fish/snails, with a bit of help from me if needed (not usually).
I do agree as well that algae is beneficial at times! I just dont like it when it cover everything in my tank lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back