Pleco swims into glass wall constantly and has a blister on nose, please help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

InSydious

Reaction score
A13D6349-47AA-47AE-B2B4-E6D49B4A822C.jpeg
6833C6DF-0A3C-42FD-8F94-D9CBAA6328F7.jpeg
Iā€™ve had this Pleco, Zeus, for almost a year and he has gotten so big. Heā€™s in a 75g tank and he is by himself till we get new fish. All of his life he has always swam into the glass as if he is trying to go through it. He will swim around like normal and then start swimming into the wall. He eats normal and his sleep schedule is right on the dot. We do have a heater and I canā€™t tell if he burned himself or is hurting himself from the glass. His water changes are up to date and water has been tested. Does anyone else have this problem. Will he be okay? What can I do? Thanks in advance.

I had to stop laughing because I know how worried you are. What type of pleco is he? Can he see? Perhaps surround the sides with plants to protect him from the glass. Keep his water extremely clean and it should heal.

I had to stop laughing because I know how worried you are. What type of pleco is he? Can he see? Perhaps surround the sides with plants to protect him from the glass. Keep his water extremely clean and it should heal.
He is a common pleco and he sees just fine. I will put more plants around and see if that helps. Thank you so much and yes Iā€™m a very worried fish mother

He is a common pleco and he sees just fine. I will put more plants around and see if that helps. Thank you so much and yes Iā€™m a very worried fish mother
I understand. Most of us here can relate. Please keep us posted on how heā€™s doing.

Fish don't know what glass is and can't see it, so make sure you have a picture on the back and sides of the tank. This will make the fish feel like there are 3 solid sides and it shouldn't try to swim through the glass.

The white patch on the nose looks like excess mucous, probably caused by repeatedly swimming into the glass or other objects in the tank.

-------------------------
Make sure you have driftwood in the tank for the fish to graze on.

Increase the lighting to encourage algae to grow on the glass. This will give the fish something to eat and also help by make the glass appear like a solid object.

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

Can you post a picture of the entire tank and a short video of the fish swimming around normally and swimming into the glass?

Fish don't know what glass is and can't see it, so make sure you have a picture on the back and sides of the tank. This will make the fish feel like there are 3 solid sides and it shouldn't try to swim through the glass.

The white patch on the nose looks like excess mucous, probably caused by repeatedly swimming into the glass or other objects in the tank.

Increase the lighting to encourage algae to grow on the glass. This will give the fish something to eat and also help by make the glass appear like a solid object.

Can you post a picture of the entire tank and a short video of the fish swimming around normally and swimming into the glass?
All the maintenance is done every 2 weeks. We do a water change every 2 weeks which is about 15 to 20% of the water. We have a cool gravel vacuum cleaner that sucks everything, every 2 weeks. We test our water with our water testing kit and then add the solutions needed for new water so there is no chlorine. Iā€™m not sure of the brand of filter, I can get back on that but itā€™s for 75g. He does have driftwood but itā€™s old so we are getting more for him. I can definitely take a video of him later and the whole tank. We will be cleaning the tank Sunday along with a water change and adding plants. The video I have is too big of a file so Iā€™ll work on that. Thanks for the questions :D

4A46C5C9-0AA3-4A16-9E5C-2B2B2F2DF19B.jpeg
I understand. Most of us here can relate. Please keep us posted on how heā€™s doing.
I didnā€™t get a pic but his nose looks way better this morning, looks like skin is growing back. Will post pictures later. But........then I noticed a hole in his fin but itā€™s not red and no white stuff around it. This
Child of mine is giving me anxiety

Oh and I forgot to tell you, every time he starts swimming into the wall and I walk over there to watch, he stops lol.....I will sneak a video when he canā€™t see me....I think I have become a crazy fish lady

You want to do a bigger water change and do it every week. Suckermouth catfish produce a lot of waste and this can encourage harmful microscopic organisms to flourish. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate each week. If you have water restrictions, then do it every 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

--------------------------
Filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is great. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and then put them in the tank. Rinse the filter case and impellor assembly (magnet with plastic blades) under tap water. Reassemble the filter and get it going again.

Driftwood lasts for years and only needs to be replaced when it starts falling apart (rotting). If you want to add more driftwood you can, but leave the original piece in the tank. You can take the driftwood out and hose it off and put it back in the tank if it needs a clean.

You want to do a bigger water change and do it every week. Suckermouth catfish produce a lot of waste and this can encourage harmful microscopic organisms to flourish. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate each week. If you have water restrictions, then do it every 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is great. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and then put them in the tank. Rinse the filter case and impellor assembly (magnet with plastic blades) under tap water. Reassemble the filter and get it going again.

Driftwood lasts for years and only needs to be replaced when it starts falling apart (rotting). If you want to add more driftwood you can, but leave the original piece in the tank. You can take the driftwood out and hose it off and put it back in the tank if it needs a clean.
Thank you so much for all the help!!!

What is people's fascination with the Plecostomus? I've had them and grew tired of them fast. I won't have another one. I know everybody likes something different. It'd be an awful dull world if we all liked the same thing but I just don't "get" the Plecostomus.

Oh and I forgot to tell you, every time he starts swimming into the wall and I walk over there to watch, he stops lol.....I will sneak a video when he canā€™t see me....I think I have become a crazy fish lady
We are all crazy fish people on here. Keep the water super clean and the hole should heal up. Youā€™re hurting more than he is. :)

What is people's fascination with the Plecostomus?
They are cute and different when small. Unfortunately most shops don't tell customers they get big and make a mess. Personally I prefer the smaller suckermouth catfish like Peckoltias, Farlowella and Loricaria catfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back