Pleco Passed

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

idlegabble

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to your forum. I have a well established 20 gallon tank that is at 0 nitrites and ammonia, fine etc. Last night my 2 inch common plec passed away for no apparent reason. I am worried that I starved him to death. I feed my 1 african dwarf frog, 1 ghost shrimp, eight neons, 2 snails, male betta and former plec 1 small block of frozen freshwater variety food everyday. I also add spinach, carrot and lettuce maybe three times per week. Does this sound like enough? there were no obvious signs of distress on my little fish and I am very sad as I had planned to watch him grow and get him a 50 gallon when he needed it. I want to replace him but don't want to have another one die!!! Any ideas for me?

Do you have any test kits?Could you do tests for Nitrite and Nitrate and let us know the results?It sounds like your feeding was OK and the tank isnt over stocked,sometimes fish do just die for no apperent reason but its best to check water parameters just to be on the safe side.

Oh hey, yah, sorry I should have included my results, o ammonia and nitrites, under 40 for nitrates, who knows what could have happened? I am very good with my water changes etc. it is just sooo disappointing....

i have found that even a hard as nails fish like the plec can be delicate for the first few weeks that it is in the tank sory for your loss and welcome to the forum im shure cfc will get back to you in the morning i luckily dont sleep but im not much help on plecs.

Sorry it took a while to get back to this one,how long had you had the plec?Sometimes plecs will already be too far gone when you buy them and the stress of moving them finishes them off,when buying a new plec always ask to check the fish in the net before it is bagged,turn the fish on its back and feel its under belly,if it feels saggy and empty do not buy it as it has not been feeding if it is plump and firm feeling then it is ok.If it was a common plec then wood wouldnt be an issue but it is a must if you have any L# plecs,most plecs also enjoy a little protein in their diet as well as veggies,i feed mine mussels once a week and they have been known to suck on the odd bit of lancefish if it gets missed buy the other fish.

Most reactions

Back