Pleco caves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Hi TFF :)

Just wondered what kind of caves you use for your BN plecos?
20200405_154427.jpg

Im thinking of taking the stone cave (circled) out this tank. Im going to add some more driftwood to free up some space and make it a more natural look.

In doing this ill be kicking my BN out hes home so id like to get a smaller cave for him to chill in.

The following caves seem popular online but im not sure there big enough
20200405_155653.jpg
Screenshot_20200405-155845_eBay.jpg

Some people use PVC pipes, but they look terrible IMO.

The big piece of driftwood I have in my tank, is sort of already hollowed out. This is were he spends most of his time. He also likes to be on the under side of it.

The black triangle cave would look good in the far corner of your tank, if it is big enough.

Some people use PVC pipes, but they look terrible IMO.

The big piece of driftwood I have in my tank, is sort of already hollowed out. This is were he spends most of his time. He also likes to be on the under side of it.

The black triangle cave would look good in the far corner of your tank, if it is big enough.
Yes i think thats what i would do. It would fit perfectly out of sight if i got the corner cave. And theres always other places for him to go aswel.

I agree on the PVC! Looks awful and certainly not natural looking

Is it just the one? No real need for caves unless you are breeding. You have enough stone, wood and plants for him to improvise. Mine doesn't have a cave as such, but hides in spaces among the driftwood or plants. He can't fit into the coconut shells - which the cories use as caves.

Is it just the one? No real need for caves unless you are breeding. You have enough stone, wood and plants for him to improvise. Mine doesn't have a cave as such, but hides in spaces among the driftwood or plants. He can't fit into the coconut shells - which the cories use as caves.
Yeah ive just got the one BN. Thats good to know, if i dont need to provide one i might leave one out then.

There will be plenty of driftwood and plants. He likes to hide behind the filter too. Always thought they needed one to feel secure.

Cheers

Same. As I said, my BNP likes to hide on the under and back side of my big driftwood piece.

@Russjw, I agree with the unnatural thing. I hate it when people have a big tank that they could actually work with and make it look good and they put ugly fake decor. It makes me sick!:sick:

what do you got against my fisherman?

I use a Plecoceramic cave. You can find it on amazon, It's specially designed for them. Mine loves it. If you are trying to breed them I'd use something smaller like a tube.

I've used PVC tubes. Cover them in a layer of silicone then roll them in the sand/gravel of your choice. Then tie java fern/moss etc onto them :)

This is a great idea. Some of those pvc pipes are awesome shapes and make great cover for a variety of fish, but if you just plop them in they tank they really don't look great.

Do you have any pictures of them? I couldn't really find any images on google.

I used a plastic tube similar to a pvc pipe but was black, he out grew it and would hang out under my HOB filter.

I use pvc pipe, it's doesnt look good but it worked.

After 2 or 3 attempts to make my BN content with a new set up i put his old rock cave back in a few days ago.

Just kept digging everywhere. Hes happy in his 'Cat cave' he behaves. Hes like a teenager happily hermiting up in his room

I did this for looks but pleco took it over...
image.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back