Plec-proof plants??

lynzmk

Reaction score
My aquarium has cost me more in plants than in fish!
My beautiful hyp. plec aka 'Big Fella' munches his way through any that take his fancy - and i've caught the Angels having a go at them above once!
We put courgette/lettuce in the tank at least 3 times a week and we feed plec/catfish pellets most days. I guess he just loves the taste of the plants!
So are there any i should look out for, preferably fast growing, that he won't be interested in? I'm not very good at names and a lot of shops dont name their plants anyway, so descriptions would help - or just general descriptions for example small leaved plants or moss types? I know he likes anything broad-leaved but they're hard to avoid.
We'd love to achieve a really lush planted aquarium so please help! :D

L x

Java Ferns don't get eaten by fish too often, but they're slow growers. Hornwort (fast grower) is tough and rigid and doesn't seem too appetizing, so that might be an option but don't quote me on it. Don't have experience with any other plants that might be what you're looking for.

Hi, thanks for that advice - i picked up a crinkly leaved java fern today, and a plant the guy at the shop recommended called anubias minima which is very attractive and apparently likes to attach to bogwood - so he told me to fasten it to my bogwood with a rubber band.
For anyone reading this topic who wanted similar advice, i'll come back in a few days and say how the plants are doing - but according to the guy in the shop they are totally inedible to plecs :)

L x

Interesting..... my plec (past and present) clean plant leaves as algae does build up on them, but they do not eat the leaves......

i think it depends on the plants. The most common ones in pet shops tend to be the ones that look tastiest to my plec!
L x

How about something in steel :lol: I have not had the problem of my plec eating the plants but i think that there is no plant you can put in an aquarium that the plec cant/wont uproot. they are like the bulldozer of fish :D So if you are going to plant a tank with a common/large plec you will need to find something that you can root very well. :)

Most reactions

Back