Please What Is My Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

garowana1

Reaction score
i went to my local fish store and its a small store and the man in the fish department left for the day and i got this guy and i do not know what it is
sad2.gif
?
sad2.gif

Attachments

• Snapchat-20140821065003.jpg
    Snapchat-20140821065003.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Snapchat-20140821065026.jpg
    Snapchat-20140821065026.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Snapchat-20140821095500.jpg
    Snapchat-20140821095500.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 249
Welcome to TFF btw.

Please in the future do not buy fish you no nothing about. 

This little guy is not a little guy at all. What you have there looks to be a very young Wallago leeri, which get huge, larger than 4ft, so i would either keep him for awhile and enjoy his fast growth and rehome him to someone who can take care of this species, or just rehome him right now.

What size tank do you have him in? And with what other fish as well as temp. and water parameters, ie ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. if you dont know what these are its from fish waste and can be deadly to fish, you can learn about it here. >>> http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Photo may not work here, because its from another forum but this a juvenile
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1031619&d=1399095514&thumb=1

Have to admit I immediately thought glass catfish too when first saw the pics.

But not 100% as its not quite fitting with the pics the OP gave, may be a hybrid or a sub specie of glass catfish 
Dunno.gif

Got a feeling its not a Wallago leerii, could be wrong of course, just wait 2 years and see if its 2 feet long by then :X

I think it's a three striped African glass catfish Pareutropius bufferi, often sold as 'Debauwi catfish'.

They get to about three inches, but are very shy, need a shoal of at least six, soft water and a tank with decent flow (but also quieter areas), lots of plant cover and non aggressive tank mates. One on its own is very likely to stop eating and pine away.

Here's their Seriously Fish profile; http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pareutropius-buffei/

fluttermoth said:
I think it's a three striped African glass catfish Pareutropius bufferi, often sold as 'Debauwi catfish'.

They get to about three inches, but are very shy, need a shoal of at least six, soft water and a tank with decent flow (but also quieter areas), lots of plant cover and non aggressive tank mates. One on its own is very likely to stop eating and pine away.

Here's their Seriously Fish profile; http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pareutropius-buffei/

Thats was my first thought but if you look closely in the picture you will see the longer, thicker maxillary barbels on this sp, P bufferi does not have them like this, it has small thin, hair like maxillary barbels and a dorsal fin. 
:)

im sorry for not giving to much info , it was hard to take a picture of him but he has the bottem like an arowana would have but hes not see through like a glass cat would be, i have a 90g and a 55g my 55 is a community tank and in my 90 i have an arowana and a gar and what not... eventually i will move them to bigger they are all young, ive had tanks going for years but when i saw this fish i never seen it before and like i said the main fish guy left for the day and i eneded up buying it. so you guys think its either a Wallago leeri or a glass catfish? and any recomendation on what they eat or if i should be it in my aggressive tank or my community tank?
also hes only staying at the top of the water

Alright, so since you say it stays at the top of the tank my guess is glass catfish, wallagos are more lazy, but im not sure how babies act if im honest. How big are the arrowana and gar? The catfish may be a snack.

Id love to see photos of the arrowana and gars :D and maybe a few more clear as possible pictures of the catfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back