Please identify this disease -updated pic today

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

the bits coming off the tail is excess mucous caused by whatever is stressing the fish.

the bits coming off the tail is excess mucous caused by whatever is stressing the fish.
Oh geez. Ok well I moved all 3 of my guppies to my new 10 gallon that I just set up. I used substrate and water from main tank to boost the cycle. I also have 4 possible now down to 3 molly fry. I added salt. Melafix and pimafix as thatā€™s what I have on hand. I took out the filter since itā€™s a carbon filter to see if that will help. The fish definitely has fluffy what on its tail and fins. My yellow guppy has a long strand of clear or white poop.

Another shot of his whole body. Poor guy. Was so beautiful just yesterday.

Attachments

• 9393DE20-5BA1-40D9-88C3-C65044A82848.jpeg
    9393DE20-5BA1-40D9-88C3-C65044A82848.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 94
You need to keep the filter running so you don't get ammonia problems.

If you have carbon in the filter, that should be removed so it doesn't adsorb the medication.

--------------------
If you have separated the guppies and have them in their own tank you can add a lot of salt.

Updated pic this morning. Tail eaten away but no more white strings coming off and the fungus looks like itā€™s almost gone

Attachments

• 6A2DD64B-21E8-4D6C-B0D3-3FBF45A0D7B6.jpeg
    6A2DD64B-21E8-4D6C-B0D3-3FBF45A0D7B6.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 108
Keep up the treatment and see how he does. Are you doing the salt treatment or the Melafix?

Keep up the treatment and see how he does. Are you doing the salt treatment or the Melafix?
Both! I also added pimafix. Did a big water change today. Only bad thing was the temp difference. How the heck do I get the new water even remotely close to what was in the tank if the tank is at 80? He was swimming around again this morning finally but after the water change heā€™s just chilling at the bottom of the tank. Yesterday he was just floating at the top near the bubbler all day long.
Lost 2 molly fry overnight. But those werenā€™t doing good from the beginning anyway. I started with 18 and Iā€™m down to 2. The only thing is in that 10 gallon are the fry and three guppies. The mom Molly died. I bought her last week and she gave birth that night. My rainbow was going crazy over her and I think ended up wounding her. When I put her in the new tank her fin had a white chunk missing and her gill looked puffy. Now she was in this tank before I added my guppies. So now Iā€™m wondering if she was a sick fish and that water was contaminated by something from her. but regardless the move for the guppies to the new tank definitely caused stress and probably wasnā€™t cycled correctly because I have no idea what Iā€™m doing clearly .

If you can move a portion of your old filter media over it will help cycle it quicker. I use a mixture of warm and cold water to get to my 80F target. Just use a thermometer as your filling the new water to adjust it to the 80F.

If you can move a portion of your old filter media over it will help cycle it quicker. I use a mixture of warm and cold water to get to my 80F target. Just use a thermometer as your filling the new water to adjust it to the 80F.
Ooooooh for some reason I thought it had to be cold tap water. And I just let it sit for a day. But lately with my levels so off with the new tank and the other tank has a new filter Iā€™ve been having to just fill and dump.

Side note this guppy looks so bad. His face even looks like itā€™s getting eaten away. I may have to put him out of his misery soon. I hate to do that but I feel keeping him alive may be worse torture. What fish are really hardy? This is second guppy this happened too. They just seem so fragile.

If it is that bad then you are probably dealing with columnaris. I would euthanize the fish. It is a very contagious disease so you may want to start treating your other fish now. You can try Seachem Kanaplex and API Furan-2 together per package instructions. I hope it all works out for you. On a side note... Never put a fish in cold water as it can put them in shock and kill them. Always match your water temp of new water to within 2 degrees if water in tank. Are you using dechlorinator?

Last edited:
I wouldnā€™t add any fish until youā€™ve sorted out whatā€™s going on with the fish you have and wiped this disease out of your tank.

If it is that bad then you are probably dealing with columnaris. I would euthanize the fish. It is a very contagious disease so you may want to start treating your other fish now. You can try Seachem Kanaplex and API Furan-2 together per package instructions. I hope it all works out for you. On a side note... Never put a fish in cold water as it can put them in shock and kill them. Always match your water temp of new water to within 2 degrees if water in tank. Are you using dechlorinator?
Okay so I couldnā€™t euthanize him. His fin and side fins are almost gone! But he still swam away as I tried to scoop him so I couldnā€™t do it. Heā€™ll pass on his own by morning Iā€™m sure. Also I assume all my fry will be gone. Ugh this sucks. I wish I knew what I was doing so wrong with all this.

Columnaris wiped out an entire tank of my fish. It can happen to anyone. If all the fish die then break down the tank and clean it with bleach water. Bleach your nets and everything.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back