Please Identify These Tetras That I Bought

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oh, I guess they're not sterilizing them before releasing them into the market now then? That used to be the way it was done so people couldn't reproduce them in the home aquarium and they'd only be available from that one company. Their reproductive capabilities aren't effected by the jellyfish DNA, they used to be artifically sterilized.

And i was told they were line bred. :-(

What about the flowing fin variety? I've also seen small corydorus sp with ultra long fins.

yes, all the long-finned varieties of fish are the result of line-breeding. tropical fish that glow under blacklights are the result of genetic tinkering. :lol:

as for artificial sterilization... :dunno: i figured the screwed around with the genetics to create the sterility. i know that there were reports of supposedly sterile GloFish breeding anyways, so they may have just given up on the idea. i'm sure that whatever you've heard as to the source of their sterility is more accurate than my understanding of the issue.

I don't know how they actualy sterilise them but it would be extremely impractical to remove their ability to breed through genetic engineering. Genetic engineering is not as easy as people generaly seem to think. These danios were not created for people's pleasure, they were manufactured for 'practical' use originaly - and then they noticed a little gap in the market and figured they could take advantage of it. Anyway, without fish they can breed, they can't supply the fish without having to consistently geneticaly modify danio eggs - and that's just insane as their costs would out-weigh their revenue. I have, however, heard the fish available at most LFSs are, indeed sterile. It is in the company's best interest to make sure they remain so or else they will no longer be able to monopolise their production and they'll cease to make profits. Anyway, these are not hybrids and they're not dyed either. They are ordinary zebra danios - simply with a foreign gene added.

edit: It would be somewhat worrying to find some can breed. Hopefuly this is just a rumour as I would hope the company is money-obsessed enough to keep them all sterile.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back