Please help me help my betta!

Sorry for the bad quality picture, but this was taken a second ago. When I come over he tries to swim properly, but when there is no action he floats on his side. Thanks.
P1010280.jpg

Try fasting him for 3 days. Give him epsom salt baths. Do this by using pure epsom salt (no perfumes). Add 1 teaspoon to a galllon of dechlorinated water same temp as tank water. Place fish in bath for 5 minutes. Can do this up to 3 times a day. Epsom salt helps pull fluid out. Also do daily water changes in his tank of 50%. After 3 days, try feeding a peeled, blanched pea.

Thanks for the reply!

I did fast him for three days, then gave him a pea....... and it didn't help. The only thing I haven't done is give him a salt bath. Is it true that they can pass out and drown? How do I know if he is passed out? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!

I did fast him for three days, then gave him a pea....... and it didn't help. The only thing I haven't done is give him a salt bath. Is it true that they can pass out and drown? How do I know if he is passed out? Thanks!
Pass out and drown? Not from an epsom salt bath.

It looks like a swimbladder problem which can be caused by a bacterial infection or too low a temperature.

My pond koi once had a severe case of swim bladder during the winter; it lost its balance completely. I brought it into the kitchen in a small tank and warmed its water up and treated the tank with Waterlife Myxazin. The fish recovered after around 2 days.

Given that the above worked for me I would suggest you try the same but also continue feeding the decapsulated peas.

It looks like a swimbladder problem which can be caused by a bacterial infection or too low a temperature.

My pond koi once had a severe case of swim bladder during the winter; it lost its balance completely. I brought it into the kitchen in a small tank and warmed its water up and treated the tank with Waterlife Myxazin. The fish recovered after around 2 days.

Given that the above worked for me I would suggest you try the same but also continue feeding the decapsulated peas.
If the fish doesn’t respond to the fasting, epsom salt baths, and peas, then yes, in a few days try a med to fight bacterial infection. Always do meds as a last resort. I prefer API Furan-2 to fight bacterial diseases. Please, keep us posted. :)

How did you warm up his water?

If the fish doesn’t respond to the fasting, epsom salt baths, and peas, then yes, in a few days try a med to fight bacterial infection. Always do meds as a last resort. I prefer API Furan-2 to fight bacterial diseases. Please, keep us posted. :)

Thanks, I will.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back